Thread: radius on a vector

Default radius on a vector

I am making a jig for cutting butterfly inlays using a handheld router. I have made the jig. When I made the drawing I only drew one corner, I then mirroed it to keep all the corners the same. Now I am trying to cut out the inlays using Aspire. Here is what I have done so far. I used the vectors that I used to create the jig. Reduced the size by half the distance of the bit and bushing. This should have given me the same size as the pocket. I then reduced the offset allowance by about -0.015". I got a nice fit everywhere but the corners. You can see in the picture how much it is off.

Is there a better way to make the pocket. Or is there a way to edit just the radius corner on the actual vector.

I am using Aspire 3.504. on Aplha Shopbot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tracy Spitulski
    KenCraft Co Inc.
    PRSa 6096
    www.kencraftcompany.com
    Hardwood Lumber, Custom Millwork
    Dust Collector Fittings

Tracy...
    Did you use the "offset vector" tool? What router bit diameter did you use? any chance your smaller radius landed up slightly smaller than the radius of the bit?

I would suggest you use the "create an inlay" tool... that way the software should make sure the radii fit together.

SG

Tracy, My son ran into this same problem a few days ago doing a file for me and lost over half a day. He drew a "corner" shape, mirrored it once, combined them and mirrored them again for his four corners but noticed that things didn't quite line up, leaving open vectors. On a hunch, he then flipped the three copies back to the original corner (not sure if I worded that right) and discovered that they didn't align perfectly as they normally would in a program like Illustrator. Maybe it's a quirk of the program? so hopefully someone experienced will offer some insight because we're wondering about this too.

Steve, I've used that feature before and it works well. I need this jig to do some inlays on some fairly large uneven slabs. So I could use the handheld to create the pockets and CNC in punchout all the butterflys.

I made the vectors for the butterflies 2 different ways. 1st I used the resize, locking x and y. 2nd I offset the vectors half the distance of half the bushing. In the second the size is too loose, but if I slowely increase the size it looks like it may be a nice fit. (trial and error) I am using a 1/4" down spiral for both the pocket and butterfly. The bushing is 3/8 on the outside.
    Tracy Spitulski
    KenCraft Co Inc.
    PRSa 6096
    www.kencraftcompany.com
    Dust Collector Fittings

Gerald

I thought the same thing. But i thought by using the original vectors, if I was off, it would fit at least one way nice. I will go back and look that the corners line up. Good tip.
    Tracy Spitulski
    KenCraft Co Inc.
    PRSa 6096
    www.kencraftcompany.com
    Dust Collector Fittings

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Does the radius in the corners match the radius of the rub coller on the hand held router. ? Maybe its not fitting in the corner of the jig all the way