Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a KING chess piece

Default Need a KING chess piece

I need a King Chess piece like the profile you see here if you have it in a stl. Everything i see is a max object and i can't use that. If i can't find it i'll model it but i'm sleepy and don't want to bother...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack,
    Can you send me a good jpeg or PDF of that shape? I can't quite see the dimensions in the photo that you posted. I can create the STL for you.
    Regards
    Peter Smith

Jack - I have something close - but not sure how to send stl - on a PM.
    Tom

Thomas if you could send direct to me at myxpykalix@hotmail.com i'd appreciate it much...thanks!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Peter,
    Here is a dxf of the profile i traced. The deminsions would be roughly 3.5" tall by 1.5" wide. The sad part here is i can usually do this stuff in my sleep but currently i'm not getting any free time from family duties to take care of this. Any help would be appreciated...thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Default chess piece

Jack
    I have the STL file zipped up. Here is an image of it too. I had to smooth out your DXF file so let me know if you need any adjustments.
    Regards
    Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Peter,
    Thanks very much for your efforts. Let me ask you a question. I normally would know this however...I see this often on some free model websites where the models are faceted like this and will probably cut faceted and my theory is that it is saved at a lower polygon count to save on space.

Do you have the ability to save it at a higher polygon count to make it smoother? I usually use Lightwave modeler and you can take the profile and designate how many copies you want in your 360 degrees, and i think i used to do 360 and poof it just copied them in an array around it.

So if i said only 180 it would look more like yours. How did you make this? With what pgm?
    3D modeling isn't like riding a bike, if you don't do it often enough you forget some steps, and i'm forgetting steps! thanks
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

You must use AutoCAD, with the tool named REVOLVE (the profile around longitudinal axe

Quote Originally Posted by frever View Post
    You must use AutoCAD, with the tool named REVOLVE (the profile around longitudinal axe
    Then you export the file in .stl format

Default Chess piece

Jack
    I model led the piece in the program we use for 3D parts. It is called Solid Edge. In the program, all I have to do is draw the profile and then revolve it around the center axis.
    I will see if I can dial up the resolution. If I cannot, would it work for if I send you an IGES or STEP file and you convert that into the STL?
    Regards
    Peter