Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new substrate for us.

Komatex, Komacell, Azek, Celtec,and Sintra are the more popular brand names of the material in question...
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

I'm cutting custom interior 3d rosettes as I type this. The painters on the job site love them. They say they take latex paint without primer and are finishing like glass.

Dave,
    The stuff I told Joe about is NyloSheet from nyloboard.com which is in GA.

It's made from recycled nylon carpet and is nylon not pvc. Cuts like HDU but MUCH tougher. You can request a sample through their website.

I've been able to get small samples, but wish I had a source for sheets, think it would be an excellent sign material.

In one of the attached pictures I am holding the eagle by a very small talon and can wiggle the piece holding it that way without breaking off the talon. Try that with HDU!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Thanks everyone for the interest in this material. Wish I could respond to all postings.

Dan H.

The material you priced is solid, type 1, and like you say it's dog gone expensive. What we're using is a cheaper version, less dense, ant runs about $150 for a 1". But that's only part of the story. PVC seems to be much more stable, tough and finishes in half the time of HDU.

Tom W.

No apology needed. I appreciate your making clear the use of the term PVC. Like you say it's probably not the best term but like Bill P. states, there are lots of manufacturers with similar products. What I'm interested in is the common material that's not so expensive. Jeesuuuh, it cuts nice and to my surprise it glue's up well with the PVC Gorilla Glue. This adhesive doesn't smell and sets up in about an hour.

We all know how well the common variety PVC accepts just about any paint but not until today did I discover how well it accepts Bondo. I'll be posting posting a few pix of hail damage to HDU. These are expensive signs I had to replace this year. Only one of them was from our shop. I'm telling everyone, hail will do serious damage to HDU.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I need them!

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Nyloboard is located in Covington, GA. Contact info is below.

LUCÍA LANCHBERY
    Sales & Customer Service Representative
    14187 Industrial Park Blvd.
    Covington, GA 30014
    678-625-5179 (d)
    678-625-5172 (f)
    NyloBoardCSR (Skype)
    llanchbery@nyloboard.com

I have 15 sheets in my shop. The stuff doesn't cut too bad. The stuff that I have is 1/2" and looks like it has a fiberglass layer on both sides but I'm not sure if it is fiberglass or the nylon fibers melted. You have run a flame over it to get any bad fuzzes before you sand it. I'm cutting decorative panels for my customer.

They have been nice people to work with. I picked the material up at the factory. Interesting place.

Andy B.

Andy Brooks
    Oak Branch Manufacturing and Assembly, LLC
    andy@oakbranchmfg.com
    770-540-9672
    www.oakbranchmfg.com
    PRTAlpha 48x96 w/ 5 HP Spindle

One other thing. Nyloboard isn't cheap.

Andy B.
    Andy Brooks
    Oak Branch Manufacturing and Assembly, LLC
    andy@oakbranchmfg.com
    770-540-9672
    www.oakbranchmfg.com
    PRTAlpha 48x96 w/ 5 HP Spindle

Thanks for the contact and handling info guys. I'll follow up and play with a bit of it. Not surprised they're nice folks. Been my experience with Georgians mostly.
    Post a few shots of your panels Andy-Would like to see them as they go through the stages.
    Cheap is a highly relative term!!

I spoke with Nylo's LUCIA last week and like Andy says they are nice people. Unfortunately there are no dealers close by and shipping takes it out of the ball park. She did send the prices and the cost of a .75" sheet is $160. That's in the range of Sintra, Komotex, Trovocell and the rest.

Look guys, when the router stops, the real hands on work begins and that's what costs. I'm looking for the easiest and fastest method to make signs that will last. At this time my choices are Extira, PVC and Cedar. HDU takes a back seat due to the time it takes to finish and the degree to difficulty in fabricating not to mention how delicate it is.

Perhaps another product will come on the market like Nylo Board but for now this is what we have to work with. Really can't complain when I see how expensive materials are for Dan H.

Joe Crumley

I had really good luck with Komotex when I lived in North Carolina but it is hard to get up here in the UP of Michigan. I came across a sample of Trex trim (white pvc) at the local lumberyard which they gave me to play with. It works great and they stock it in dimension lumber sizes. I buy 1 x 12 in 18' lengths for $80.95. It comes with one flat side and one side with a woodgrain texture (this works great for simple v-carved house signs). I can order larger pieces if I want to wait but I don't do a lot of signs so this is the perfect solution for my needs.

Mike