Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting miters

"I've done this before without the V carving"

Randy

What you did was essentially V-carving manually! V-carving can add unnecessary paths (the ends of the closed vector for the miter) but it works for any size 90° v-bit with out thinking about it! Truth be told... I use linear paths when I make my fold up boxes as I have very large V-bits and can do them in one pass

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Randy

What you did was essentially V-carving manually! V-carving can add unnecessary paths (the ends of the closed vector for the miter) but it works for any size 90° v-bit with out thinking about it! Truth be told... I use linear paths when I make my fold up boxes as I have very large V-bits and can do them in one pass

Steve
    Yes you are right. I do whatever i can in Cut2d that i don't have to do in bobcrap...err bobcad.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Real nice work Steve, when the time comes, why not market your presentation with voice over on iTunes for all those crazy iPad users like me who will surely buy a copy and make your wealthy

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Tommy

I'll show how I work with V-carving as abbreviated as possible... I'm working on a V-carve talk to share at next years Austin camp ShopBot, It's 45 pages long right now (yikes). Feel free to ask additional questions!

1. V-carving is not just cutting with a V-bit. V-carving uses closed vectors to control the depth of the cut (see Illustration 1).

2. You can create offset vectors to cut through your material by using a chart or calculating the offset necessary for your angle of V-bit. If, like in your case only a small section is V-cut, you create the closed vector that will do what you want... (illustration 2)

3. Create your tool paths using V-carve path generator tool it brings up a menu with many options... for now just be sure the correct bit is chosen (illustration 3)

4. Cut the parts! I've shown some ideas I use frequently... A profile with beveled edges and a fold up box. the 4X4X6 box will fold up and with tape on the joints like hinges while gluing, grain patterns flow from one panel to the next. Lots easier than cranking the blade over on the table saw! ( illustration 4)

Steve
    Steve - do you happen to have any other material on miter folding techniques?

Andrew...
    Here’s a rough draft…
    Let me know what needs clarification, what you like and most of all what you (or anyone) feels is wrong… I don’t want to see this document spread around the web as I will incorporate it into the book I’ve been working on for a few years now…
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8GtiBWUjRyRYlhaeUFTRGFCeEE/edit?usp=sharing
    SG

Steve,

That is awesome work, it is very well documented and I will give it a try.

Steve, Saved it my reference library, hope you don't mind?
    If you're whole book will be like this sign us up for two copies!
    You're great at explaining things! Thanks!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

I would want one too, if it's anything like this it would be a bestseller. I have already filed this away in my project lists too, can't wait to try it. Would love to get some easy to run carvings like you did, guess I will have to start playing with that too.

Thanks for sharing this Steve! Your explanation and illustrations make things very clear. Sign me up for your book when you finish it.

Steve G - sent ya' a pm. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy