Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coms? Computer?

Scott…
    The 13 hour one looks really nice! Use that one to make a mold and cast buttons from it…
    SG

Yep, at times she resembled a psychotic wood pecker---because of Saturdays comm problems, every time she paused to load code(for the first 4 hours) I almost freaked because I'd never seen that before. Think I could double/triple Diameter of "Imaginary" bit and reap 90% of the benefit and gain the increased stepover and definitely go 2,2 for MS.
    Need to watch tutorials again and research database import again.
    Molds good idea if I can find my Hard Wax, don't think a cuttlefish steam mold would do it justice.
    stepover was something close to 20 seconds for .001" movement
    Wonder how it would have come out in Bloodwood instead of Hard Maple
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Hey Scott,
    Thanks for the extensive posting. Been encountering some issues with the control software, so just loaded SB3.8.26 as part of my tune up session this weekend. Thought the machine was developing new issues on my first 3D carvings, as I too am just dipping my toe into the waters of 3D after 2 years of ownership. (Look who's just catching on!)

Anyhow, your comment:
    every time she paused to load code(for the first 4 hours) I almost freaked because I'd never seen that before.
    Thought I'd found a new problem, as the bot was "pondering" before cutting at times. Sounds like it is to be expected with the dramatic increase of data required to execute these 3D files, is that what you were referring to?

Only other issue I've had so far is with a large Elk set of antlers. Even plugging in a 1/16" ball nose to render in Partworks 3D on an 11"x18" carving, it keeps whittling way too much off that poor animal's beautiful rack on the finishing pass with a 10% step-over. Easier said than done, I guess...

Jeff

When running 3D files (or any very high line count file), you will see that the tool/software will pause to load/buffer another another large movement block of code. This is normal. If you look at the command console, you will see a progress bar loading at the bottom of the screen. If you are using 'Easy' mode, I don't think you'll see this (hands tied behind my back mode is what I call it ).
    Scott

Jeff, I see that you are new to 3D carving, and that you are losing some detail on the finish pass. Are you allowing for clearance of your ball nose? This is usually an offset of the radius of the tool. Also for a roughing tool. I hope this is of some help to you...joe