Thread: Log file data use

Default Log file data use

I believe I have a need to use the log files in a different manner than others have used them. I'm hoping I'm wrong as that would mean someone may have a solution for my project. I believe I need to describe our process to explain what I wish to do.

As we manufacture custom snowboards, we typically only execute a given file once. Each customer or build has specific group of files that are executed in order to cut the parts for their snowboard. These files are stored in a folder defined by their name and order number.

I would like to implement a system of logging the progress of each customers build and eventually making that data available to the customer in real time. It would basically be a table that lists the processes that are performed with some sort of digital equipment showing the date and time the process was completed.

Is there a piece of software that can crawl through a folder and it's sub folders and indicate the time and date that a log file was generated and then post this information to a text file, web site, or google spreadsheet? It would not even need to be shopbot specific, but simply log the date and time the taper.log file appeared in a specific folder.

Well I don't know of a piece of software that will do that but if I were going to do it I'd just use Perl. But there is a steep learning curve if you've never used perl before.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bbrozo View Post
    Well I don't know of a piece of software that will do that but if I were going to do it I'd just use Perl. But there is a steep learning curve if you've never used perl before.

Bill
    Why Perl? Because you're most familiar with it or because it is well suited to this purpose?

Both. Java would be a good choice as well.

Bill

Sean,
    There are a number of possibilities - but you'll have to ultimately decide what options you need. Do a Google search using these terms: software that monitors file changes in folder

A number of them will send and email (which can be used as a report of sorts) when there are changes in a folder or folders.

I'm sure that you could pay a coder to make you a little app that does what you need. It would not be all that difficult to see if a log file is present - and if it is, open, walk the text and create a report from the data. No, I am not volunteering for the job...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

You might be able to use one of the newer versions of "GREP". Do a web search.

Paul Z