Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum sander clogging

NICE!

(I seem to remember that cocobolo is one of the ones that is a bit nasty on the lungs. Be sure not to foul up your breathing! Don't go on my recollection, but use protection as apporopriate!)

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    .... Wet a rag with Acetone and wad it up use it like the eraser. It will unclog the belt very quickly and make it almost like new......
    Yes, that did the trick. Thanks for the link! I wrapped 2 layers of paper towel around the drum, soaked with acetone and covered with food wrapper film, then let it soak for 15 minutes. The black gunk came right off, most stuck to the paper towel. Quite interesting that it became gooey and pulled off stringy like liquid rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by MogulTx View Post
    (I seem to remember that cocobolo is one of the ones that is a bit nasty on the lungs. Be sure not to foul up your breathing! Don't go on my recollection, but use protection as apporopriate!)
    I believe you are right, although the evaporating wood resin smells really nice during sanding, somewhat like vanilla.
    The drum sander can anyway only be run with dust collector or the abrasive will clog even faster. I have a 2-stage cyclone with HEPA filter and hope that will catch the nasty dust.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ...Didn't know you were a jewelry designer Abranet with a "Hard" pad for 5" RO ?
    Well, I am not. But my wife asked me if that Guilloche program can be used for more intersting things than scratching lines into brass disks.
    The sanding can be done with an RO sander but it would be very tiresome and not as flat. Want to make some stone inlay buttons? It is really quick and easy.

That is amazing and so perfectly one of a kind. This is a great thread for multiple reasons. 5 stars!
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

G,
    May try inlay using chips like you, but more like an Inset for some of my funky stone shapes. Not so much jewelry, as display and embedding in wood objects around the house. Maybe wild grain wood, knots, etc for wall art embellished or a mobile. Have thought of pendant size in Ebony/Cocobola, And the cat has already pre-chipped a bunch of Malachite and Iron Pyrite "sand dollars" for me that were on window sill, so may try some like yours(also opal chips).
    Again....Great Job!
    scott
    LOUSY spur of the moment pics but...
    Maybe some more like Dianne's piece?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Scott, good collection of pretty stone! Now you got to beat me and make a fitted v-carve inlay out of solid rock ;-) Well, maybe soap stone would work.

Tip: I found thin CA glue an excellent filler/matrix for the stone chips. It creeps into the crevices and fills all voids and when done, a quick whiff of accelerator spray sets the surface.
    It is also easier to sand than epoxy which may smear. Just make sure the pockets are closed or, for my project with through pockets I closed them underneath with tape.

Ah, Didn't know they were through pockets! Solves the dilemma of pendant flipping
    Did you just export the Guilloche pattern? and then let VCarve stop at the radius of the bit?
    May try to use Desktop to do a Cuttlebone casting mold casting mold for Sterling and try a simple steam cast, but metal casting is a whole different $$$ discipline
    Thanks for CA tip---Good bond? or did you clean with acetone/denatured?
    Did your wife like? and you have a new profession?
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

....Did you just export the Guilloche pattern? and then let VCarve stop at the radius of the bit?...
    Yes, exported the bitmap, vectorized and milled through pockets with a 0.04" diameter endmill. Pretty fragile bit but not much material to remove, anyway. Even at 0.7ips and 0.04 deep this strip took only 20 minutes to cut.

....Thanks for CA tip---Good bond? or did you clean with acetone/denatured?....
    No special cleaning. I filled the cavities right after cutting. This is not a load bearing furniture joint and the glue is not stressed. You may notice there are 2 dowel holes at the ends to find the zero again for the cutout after sanding and finishing.

Thanks for pics G.
    That board could be pretty all by itself, if designed with something in mind
    Also lends itself to Vinlay I would think?
    Also thanks for all the belt cleaning tips everyone, stationary belts from 220G up were getting retired fairly fast from Padauk and Bloodwood.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Oily wood is tough on a drum sander are a wide belt sander it mess up the belts and it clogs it up