Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost Effective ATC Using PorterCable 7518 Router

Sheldon

I believe I use your second option. This method is the one shown on the website. Go to www.midwestrapidtool.com and click the Programming tab at the bottom of the left side navigation bar. This is the list of all the variables I use and a theroy of operation.
    In short the procedure I use is to zero the machine to machine 0,0, then get the x,y locations of all the tool holders. For example the locations of the Tool Holder in position 1 are stored in variables TOOL1X & TOOL1Y; of Tool Holder 2 in TOOL2X & TOOL2Y.....ect. To machine a part, I find the local 0,0 of the part and zero the cooridinate system to this point. The difference between this point and the machine 0,0 is stored in the variables XOFFSET and YOFFSET. When a tool change is required, for example to pick up the tool holder in position 1, I stay in the local cooridinate system and run the subroutine GETTOOL1. This moves the router to the location of (TOOL1X - OFFSETX),(TOOL1Y - OFFSETY)and picks up the Tool Holder in position 1, and then returns to the point where the change was called.

Hope this helps. If not send me an email through the website with your phone and I will give you a call.

An anti-rotation feature has been added to the MRT Automatic Tool Changer system to increase the torque required for the Tool Holder to slip inside the collet chuck on the router. This feature increased to torque from 75 in-lbs to 250 in-lbs. This allows you to run larger bits at higher feed rates. Take a look at www.midwestrapidtool.com and click on the Anti-Rotation Feature System Advantage Heading.

Man Haze, that's looking even better. What's the procedure for replacing bearings? Who can do the work?

Hi Sheldon
    The only difference in the bearing replacement procedure between the Tool Changer and a standard Porter Cable 75182 router, is internal e-ring pliers are required to replace the upper bearing. Other than that, no special tools or procedures are required. Anyone with a press, an impact tool, an a T15 Torx driver can replace the bearings and brushes.