Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: phase 4 of shop mods... probably the last :)

Well I have the Maggi 23 boring machine operational. Fooled with it a bit today - I think it is going to change the way I do many things currently. Slick setup.. much easier to adjust and set up for various operations as well.

The doors and fronts for the island cabinets are mitred (2" by 1 1/8" walnut with a custom profile I had ground up for one of my shaper heads). I tested doing a two dowel boring VS a Domino loose tenon. I can whip through these mitres WAY faster with the dowels. There is a fixture on the boring table to set up mitres.

Also got a bunch of drawers and trays into the cabinets that are finished... I like the walnut accent strip.

Somebody is getting an Elegant custom kitchen!!
    I agree the Walnut accent takes the appearance up a few notches!!
    Where were you when I went with Plain and Fancy for a wheelchair kitchen? (could have used a couple custom options they didn't offer in '95)
    The 3 man crew had been doing interior trim with lots of fancy old fashioned custom joinery for a year when cabinets arrived. They took a couple hours off from their chisels and Japanese saws to make fun of them compared their joinery. "Look Scott...plastic gussets and a brad gun on the backs of the carcass!""They're going to Silicone the 15' peninsula panel!!"
    Somehow I don't think they would have had anything to say about yours
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Today I machined the framing for the mitred doors. I was going to use the Festool Domino, to put a loose tenon in the mitres but decided to use the new boring machine. Wow, a few minutes (maybe 10) later and all the framing was drilled for two 8mm dowels. I just got one door together before quitting time. The panels are G2S 1/2" thick walnut veneer, PB core. Rabbeted so the back is flush.

I think this machine will be used quite often..

The design, the workmanship and the wood are all beautiful.
    Shopbot Buddy BT48-12z alpha
    2', 4', 8' Powersticks
    Shopbot indexer
    Shopbot airdrill
    4hp HSD spindle
    Aspire 4.5

Sounds to me like a kid with a new toy, only he won't let us play with it!!! I bet you were just as excited when you got these new tools as you were when you got new toys at christmas...good for you...although i can't see how you could make anything you do look any more professional then it already does. Good work!

Oh by the way, I will bet you "a dollar to a doughnut" that not only will you be expanding your shop again within a year but you will buy at least one or two more major tools!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Sounds to me like a kid with a new toy, only he won't let us play with it!!! I bet you were just as excited when you got these new tools as you were when you got new toys at christmas...good for you...although i can't see how you could make anything you do look any more professional then it already does. Good work!

Oh by the way, I will bet you "a dollar to a doughnut" that not only will you be expanding your shop again within a year but you will buy at least one or two more major tools!
    Lol I bet you I wont be adding any more shop space (I need the rest of my shop for materials storage) and NO more tools! Except maybe a computerized stop for my radial arm saw... if you consider that a tool.

Im really tapped out. When I set up the shop several years ago, I had these things in mind. Only now I can finally say I have acquired everything I set out to... what I need now is one more really good full time employee to keep up with work. Or at least not make my customers wait 6 to 8 months.. I have been asking around but no one yet. The right guy will show up some day.

As for being excited - sure I get worked up over new tools, but, and I mean this - I get much more worked up about doing things faster/better and being able to do more in a day. Machinery doesnt make me happy unless it is helping me make $$, and that's the truth!

SOme times its the mundane, every day tasks that are far from glamorous, but necessary and vitally important. Same like my Shopbot - I can do things now that were too hard, too costly or too much of a PITA to do before. Not everything is fancy carvings and frills... sometimes just cutting out a complex shape, or putting in a bunch of dowel holes can get me excited!

"Lol I bet you I wont be adding any more shop space"

We'll see....I got a dollar riding on this....
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    "Lol I bet you I wont be adding any more shop space"

We'll see....I got a dollar riding on this....
    Ill take that bet.. ha ha. Ill owe you about $1.35 though.

The doors are all together, just need sanding and finishing and the last thing I have to do is the crown and under cab lighting valences.

The other pull outs - knife block, spice and oil bottles (I squeezed a third tray in that tilts for access) and one for cookie sheets.

For the narrow pull outs that I cant physically fit in Movento undermounts, I used the new Accuride soft self closing 100 pound side mounts. They are improved over the previous versions that had a pretty weak return spring. Not too bad.