Thread: New win98 pc. Getting "limite DOS memory" (Shopbot crashing)

Default New win98 pc. Getting "limite DOS memory" (Shopbot crashing)

Just replaced my win98 pc to my old shopbot. My new install of sb software now shows a "limited DOS memory" warning.

The shopbot will cut all day long on small holes (hundreds to a file). But it crashes in a minute or so cutting long sweeping cuts.

I, a pc novice, have looked and modified my config.sys for extra memory. Most looked maximized from the beginning. Added files=, lowered buffers-=, tried all sorts of stacks= combinations. Still get the warning.

Alan

SB2 won't run properly on any OS newer than win98SE. What OS are you running?

You can install SB3.4.27 and run UI to install firmware and run any SBP you can run now in SB2.39 etc. backup or copy yor c/sbparts folder and keep a copy on the desktop before you install SB3.

You our can go back to SB2 if you have to by reinstalling it and replacing sbparts...and after running UI again within SB2.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

the bot is a super old PR (converted from cables, first ever to have acc Z installed).

running sb2.38sx on win98 (old HP with AMD processor, 14g drive, ram 256). I do my file work on an XP PC in a modern Shopbot Control Software, then carry the .spb files on a floppy to the shop. Is there a big difference in 2.38 and 2.39? I saw in an old talkshopbot thread that an "expanded memory" upgrade was in the works. This is about a decade or more ago.

Thanks for the help. Between old computer drives failing and driving a three hour round trip for a solid winX pc, it's been a lot do get back to cutting.

Sorry I assumed it was a PRT. Unfortunately you are stuck with 2.38, anything higher than that you need a PRT control box.

Run the UD command and see what it says about available memory vs actual. You may find this post helpful.

If you aren't able to work with your current setup, you have a few choices and none of them are real pretty.

You can upgrade the control box to either a used PRT (3G or 4G) or a new RBK. This will allow you to run a Windows OS XP or newer, SB3.4.27 for 3G; Latest version of SB3 for 4G or RBK. You'll get more speed and resolution with a 4G or RBK just plugging it in. 3G PRT boxes aren't the most durable and quite often fry the motor drivers...which SB no longer repairs, so you'd be back in the same boat again if something went wrong.

If SB still sells the 4G board (they don't make a 4G box anymore), you can cobble together your own 4G control box by mounting it in an ATX mid tower case. You'll use the 5/12vdc power from the ATX PS, and then throw in a 48-63vdc power supply for the steppers and you've got yourself a 4G box.

You can go the other way and try to doctor up your old PC. Believe it or not there are plenty of guys out there that are keeping those older boxes running (Amiga machines come to mind here....peruse Ebay) - and it may be possible to upgrade your RAM using new old stock or good used RAM. Electronics certainly do degrade over time...so there is a chance that something (including a RAM module) is starting to flake out.

Sorry I can't offer too much more than that. I haven't run SB2.xx since around 2004/2005. I usually build my own PCs and if I remember correctly, I had either 512 or 1GB of RAM loaded up. I would cut files over 1,000,000 lines without getting any lip about memory from SB2.3x - FYI, running DOS or Win98 as a virtual machine will NOT work on a SB. Tried it years ago in an effort to help another PR guy.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

thanks for the info and advice. as it is, it's still doing what i need it to do for it's art studio purposes. and it's only cost me $6 in over twenty years in repairs. as for the pcs they are dying off rapidly. i tend to to blame the win98 install, having never encountered this issue in the past. the UD revealed some numbers that may point directly to the crashing issue or they may be standard stuff. i'll contact shopbot monday with the data.

Memory Available: DOS - 20640/65392 EMS - 0/0 1Stk - 15390 cStck - 16240 unStr 9052 Continuous Cut Maximum Commands - 962 (all greek to me)

The 4g controller really goes a long way. Way way better resolution, the motors are much stronger, lets you use the latest software and windows... lots more.