Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot won't move

Quote Originally Posted by zeykr View Post
    In your second error picture it shows input #4 on which says the E stop has been tripped. Your machine sounds new enough that you would probably have a NC (normally Closed) stop switch. (You can check under VN command). If it is NC, then any break in a wire or loose connection at switch or control box is the same as hitting the stop switch. If hitting the reset button does not make Input 4 go out, then a broken wire or poor connection in the E-stop circuit is a likely culprit. A stuck relay is another possibility.

Thanks Ken. I checked the VN and it does look like it is normally closed. I will start seeing if I can find a loose wire. How would I check for a stuck relay?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Keith, Input #4 should drop after hitting the Reset switch, if it's not, there is a problem. From my experience, Input#4 will be high as along as there is voltage to the E-Stop Block; an example of this would be the E-stop remaining depressed. I have read in these forums about faulty E-Stops buttons, which don't "recover" properly. Try pressing both E-Stops again and then twisting them so that they are reset (normal running condition). Then press the Blue reset switch.

From zeykr:

"In your second error picture it shows input #4 on which says the E stop has been tripped. Your machine sounds new enough that you would probably have a NC (normally Closed) stop switch. (You can check under VN command). If it is NC, then any break in a wire or loose connection at switch or control box is the same as hitting the stop switch. If hitting the reset button does not make Input 4 go out, then a broken wire or poor connection in the E-stop circuit is a likely culprit. A stuck relay is another possibility. "

I think he is on the right path with the poor connection or stuck relay. Relays can wear or become fused in severe circumstances. For now, try Cycling the E-stops to see if you can RESET. If not, it may just be an open electrical circuit (bad connection) or a faulty relay. If it comes to this point I would get ShopBot's support.

I opened up the pendants on the emergency stops. I didn't see or feel any loose wires. When I push on the switches they depress and release easy and don't appear to be sticking at all.

I also checked inside the control panel. While I'm not really sure about anything that is going on in there, I didn't see any obvious loose wires or connections.

The reset button does not seem to be turning input 4 off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    Aspire 8.5

Maybe a silly question, Keith, but have you tried restarting your software or rebooting your PC? It would be difficult for me to help you diagnose an electrical issue, I would recommend getting SB Support. Post back when you have a moment, and let us know if you resolve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandanS View Post
    Maybe a silly question, Keith, but have you tried restarting your software or rebooting your PC? It would be difficult for me to help you diagnose an electrical issue, I would recommend getting SB Support. Post back when you have a moment, and let us know if you resolve the issue.
    No silly questions here Brandan. Yes, I have restarted both the software and the PC a number of times. It's normally my first response to most computer related problems

I plan on calling ShopBot tech support when they open for business. It would be great to sort this out and start cutting the pile of plywood waiting!

I really appreciate everyone taking time out of your day to try and help me!!
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    Aspire 8.5

To follow up ...

I just got off the phone with David at ShopBot. The machine is back up and running. We ran continuity tests and determined there was nothing wrong with either of the e stops or the reset button.

We then ran VN and turned input 4 off. The machine came back to life and started moving again. This would have enabled me to use the machine but not be able to use the emergency stop buttons, just the space bar. We then turned input 4 back to nominally closed, expecting the problem to reappear, but lo and behold, the machine carried on working like normal. Ran a few tests moving it around and hitting the stop buttons and everything seems to be working fine.

It seems that turning input 4 off and on again via VN did some sort of software reset or something.

The jury is still out as to why the problem occurred, but we are wondering if there was some sort of conflict between the ShopBot Link and the ShopBot Software, exasperated by user error, namely me hitting the stop key at the wrong time or something.

Much relief, everything seems to back to normal now. Thanks again to everyone who took time out of their day to offer some advice. And a very big thank you to David and the ShopBot support team for spending the time to help me resolve this!!
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    Aspire 8.5

Keith, just out of curiosity, what version of SB3.8.XX are you running? There were versions that if you stopped motion with the spacebar/enter/stop on screen during a jog to another location, it could cause similar issues. That combined with eCabs could be an issue. Current version is 3.8.40 and has been good so far for me with anything like that.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Keith, just out of curiosity, what version of SB3.8.XX are you running? There were versions that if you stopped motion with the spacebar/enter/stop on screen during a jog to another location, it could cause similar issues. That combined with eCabs could be an issue. Current version is 3.8.40 and has been good so far for me with anything like that.
    I am running SB3.8.40. This is the first time I've had any issues like this. Traditionally, any issues I've had have been operator error
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    Aspire 8.5

Glad you got it going. This is a great forum and ShopBot support is awesome.

Please explain to a newbie what "VN" means and what it does.

Glad you got back up and are making chips again.