Thread: HSD Spindle Repair

Default HSD Spindle Repair

We have a PRS Alpha approximately two years old and I believe the HSD spindle bearings are bad, (becoming increasingly noisy while running). We are located just outside of Raleigh, NC. Can anyone recommend a local machinist that can works on spindles?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

as far as I know they are pretty much disposable. but only two years is a pretty short time. when mine started to go they would screech very loudly. it would make me jump every time it started up.

Mine has been going since 2009 with no problems. I warm it up religiously before doing any cutting. Granted when I first start the warmup routine it is a little load but it quiets down in about 15 seconds. Thu the rest of the warmup I can barely hear it.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I got 10 years on mine about 3000 hours. then the bearings started to go then really go. it was a bit scary.

If someone is a machinist, that doesn't qualify them to rebuild spindles. You need to find a repair shop that has serious experience with spindles. Echoing what Steve said, I read on the forum a few years ago that HSD won't even repair them. There was a thread on here, so you should do some searching.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

I saw this a while ago. There's a lot to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmplff_f5pI

Marc

I know this company is not local to your location but they do repair spindles.
    I had them repair one of my stepper motors at a reasonable price.
    You could probably get a ballpark price from them if you email your details to them, or call them.
    https://www.generalservo.com/
    I'm not affiliated with them - other than being a satisfied customer.