Thread: Durable finish for exterior project

Default Durable finish for exterior project

Hi gang,
    I have been working on a couple statues made out of alaskan yellow cedar for about 2 years now. I'm getting close to finally putting this project on the done side of my to do list. However I am curious what you all feel is the most durable finish to coat the statues. They will be placed on the beach in the southern california sun until they basically fail from saltwater rot or an earthquake brings down the land.

This is an art project and the color and coating are completely up to my discretion. I was thinking of spraying them with rhino lining or just dumping a bucket of poly on them.

Has anyone dealt with something like this before, perhaps someone with marine craft experience?

Again this will be about 300 yds from the waterline on the beach and will be a prominent piece of artwork on the landscape.

thank you all.
    PRS Alpha 96" X 48" w/ 12" Z
    4hp Spindle
    6" Indexer
    Aspire 8

I would coat it with Sikkens.
    Varnishes will have peeling issues as they deteriorate. The Sikkens will just fade if you don't renew it periodically.

High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks guys, two awesome answers. as always.
    4hp Spindle
    6" Indexer
    Aspire 8

I use cwf deck and siding coating natural tone. I get about 3-4 years before it needs recoating in sun. Probably more frequent coating in your location.

I guess we're giving advice on translucent coatings? None of which will last as long as regular acrylic latex.
    My favorites is "Log & Siding" by Sikkens. It takes three fat coats. Be sure to use plenty of ventilation.
    I expect five years protection in Oklahoma. Then you're in for follow up coats.
    Last edited by joe; 12-31-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Not necessarily looking for translucent. I was considering using rhino lining, what you would see in a pick up truck bed. The sikkens and permalac recommendations are good ones and will do research there. I may not have access to this project in the future as it will be on a secured facility so I was looking for a permanent solution.
    4hp Spindle
    6" Indexer
    Aspire 8