Thread: 2 'Bots, 2 wireless remotes?

MGM Television, Vancouver British Columbia

Default 2 'Bots, 2 wireless remotes?

Expecting delivery of my second Shopbot any day now!!!
    Problem is that both machines will be operating in the same room.
    With my original machine I have been using a Microsoft wireless keyboard as a remote control to move the carriage around etc. and it has worked beautifully.
    I'd like to set up the same system on the new Bot, using a second computer of course.
    Am I going to have problems with the two wireless keyboards cross-talking between the two computers or do they run on seperate frequencies?
    Thanks if you can help.

Most likely they will interfere with each other. You may get around this by using a different brand wireless keyboard in the chance that the frequencies differ enough. One thing that I found is that many times 2 wireless devices cannot be used simulataneously because the one broadcasts (creating a cloud of interference to the other, even on different frequencies) and blocks communication. I would do lots of testing to make sure that the one isn't going to send messages to the other machine...you DON'T need that!

-B

Or better yet go back to wired, that's what I did. I started with a wireless keyboard and mouse but got tired of forgeting to recharge the mouse. I also noticed I never realy needed to move my keyboard like I thought I would. So in my opinion wired has far less chance for failing.

Thanks for the replies guys, but Frank, having used the wireless setup for the last two years I will never go back.
    The way my current setup works is that I run dual monitors, one of which is an old lcd with a few lines of dead pixels.
    This one I have in my clean-room sitting in a window that faces the shop, using the wireless keyboard inside the shop allows me easy, precise cutting head placement, and bit changes and z-zeroing with the plate is a piece of cake.
    The setup also allows me a little more freedom of where in the shop the Shopbot(s) will be placed.
    As far as battery / keyboard recharging, my keyboard tells me well in advance that my batteries are running low, I keep a backup set in a smart-charger mounted to the office wall.

Try using a bluetooth wireless keyboard. They are paired with each computer and should not interfere with each other. I use a logitech bluetooth keyboard and keypad and mouse and have not had any problems.

Jeff, just curious as to what kind of distance you can be with the keyboard from the PC and still get reliable response?

Boyd,
    I can go anywhere in my shop and it works fine. My shop is 32 x 50, I have also try it through the outside wall and it still works. I have been very pleased with them. They are a little pricey unless you can catch them on sale.

Boyd: I have two computers 4 feet from each other that are both using Logitech wireless keyboards and mice. Never had interference. Been set up this way for years.