Thread: Aluminum Help

Default Aluminum Help

Hey, gang I have done hundreds of wood, plexiglss carvings,projects now
    would like to try aluminum. 1/4 x 4x10 any tips for some engraving , 3-d
    and pocketing feeds and speeds should I use a lot of passes? all my bits are carbide. S/B desktop. Thanks in advance JERRY

Search the forum for "aluminum". Has been discussed many times. Most important, though, is to use the right aluminum. Choose 6061 and avoid 5052, for example.

Tried it also earlier this year - very satisfying.

I tried mostly straight end mill 1/8" diameter (.125) - found out that I was able to cut easily with very low depth of cut - around 0.010" (.25mm) per pass at around 60 inches per minute. Depth of cut seems to be a very important factor for such small bits because it did easily break when trying to cut deeper.

I also tried Onsrud Super-O 1 flute up-cut bit of 1/4" diameter with good result at the same feed and speed as for the 1/8" end mill.

Note that I shoot air near the bit since everyone says that chip evacuation is important. I use an old HVLP air-gun turbine to push air and with this very low depth of cut, I get small aluminum shaving blown all around the work area. I used some baffles to keep the chips from reaching the CNC's rails.