Thread: Y axis looses postion on diagonal cuts

Default Y axis looses postion on diagonal cuts

I am having a problem with my PRS standard drifting off on the Y axis while making finish cuts on a 45 degree diagonal. I finished rough cuts on some detailed carving and that worked fine but on the finish cut the Y axis drifts to the positive side at a rate of + or - .01 per pass. This drift is not at a constant rate. I have moved the wiring for the Y axis away from all other wiring and shut down everything but the computer and control box. This is a high priority project or I would wait until Monday for tech support at SB

Doug

Check 2 things:

1) Verify that the pinion on the Y axis is properly engaged. Loosen the motor mount and re-seat it into the rack. Then grab the gantry and listen for 'ticking', feeling if it is excessive. All gearboxes have a little bit of lash, but you should not be able to perceive any slop by trying to move it. If there is noticable slop, then remove the motor and check that the pinion is not loose on the shaft.

2) Goto the C:\ShopBot/SB3/Diagnostic folder with SB3 CLOSED - run SpeedTest.exe. This will check communication speed between your machine and the computer. If it is below 70%, then you'll need to get yourself a 2.0 hub (your machine should have come with one) and you may need a 2.0 USB to PCI card (via Stapels etc) to jack that speed up.

-B

On the usb topic...with hub installed I'm currently at 34K and 75% are there any Windows tricks to improve this?

Install a USB 2.0 PCI card. Staples has the el cheapo Belkin version for around $25. It makes a big difference, especially on Dell brand computers.

-B

Thanks...put one in and it didn't change much...its an older card so maybe thats the problem...it is a usb 2 card...without the hub it was better with the hub...still maxes out at 75%.