Thread: Finishing MDF for carvings

Default Finishing MDF for carvings

I have made some carvings in wood and used a gel stain to finsh it and i like the way it goes into cracks and crevices to hilite it.

However i am going to use mdf and I wondered if anyone has used gel stain on mdf or whether it is advisable to do so? When i have used it on wood you apply then wipe off excess leaving what went into details behind. With mdf i'm afraid it is just going to soak in and just be a flat finish.
    One time I used a "Danny Ray recipe" using a yellow primer under a regular stain and that turned out nice but don't know 1)if I should use a gel stain or 2)what type of surface preperation or primer I should use, if any? Does anyone have any examples of mdf carvings with different stains they could show and explain?

quote:However i am going to use mdf and I wondered if anyone has used gel stain on mdf or whether it is advisable to do so?

I have done this. I used a stain first to get my general color and then several light coats of lacquer to ensure I have good coverage. Then I applied the gel stain and wiped it off like I normally would. I then applied a few more coats of lacquer. It turned out well.

I have been curious to try the Danny Ray recipe as well since I like the wood grain effect that he is able to acheive.

I am clearly no finishing expert, but my guess is that you lay down a coat of primer or shellac to act as a base for the gel stain to lay on top of as opposed to applying to the raw surface because it will just soak in not give you the desired effects.
    Here is my first attempt at Danny's recipe and in places it was a little blotchy but i believe the primer must not have been fully cured, not sure.
    One thing you might look into to help achieve a woodgrain look, is a squeegee type applicator that looks like it has rings embedded in the rubber.

36969.jpg