Thread: Ignorance Ain't Bliss

Default Ignorance Ain't Bliss

There just doesn't seem to be any end to my ignorance. Last week I asked for advice on masking. I was told to try masking with rubber cement topped off with transfer tape. Made sense to me.

Now, I'd never heard of transfer tape and have no idea where to get. It sounded like something office depot might carry. I went to the OD web site and sure enough, they carry it inn 3/4" width. A trip to od revealed further ignorance. They never heard of it either.

Somebody please tell me what transfer tape is and what it is nrmally used for. Will cellophane tape make acceptable substitute for masking with rubber glue?

Charlie Golden

Google "Vinyl Transfer Tape"

Check out this PDF for a pictorial view if how it is used: http://www.admart.com/resources/vinylapp.pdf

-B

HI Charles
    Try www.nglantz.com call you local store. They will have what your looking for.
    Do a search on this forum for paint masking , and you will find lots of info what works best .

"Transfer tape — Medium-tack
    adhesive-coated translucent
    paper, placed on weeded vinyl
    images still on the original carrier
    liner; the tack of the tape is
    stronger than the adhesion of the
    vinyl to the coated liner, so the
    image is pulled off the liner in a
    transfer to another surface."
    Bot on

I thank you for the info. You've removed a little ignorance but the well ain't dry.

Charlie Golden

Charlie - Transfer tape is really a very clever bit of magic.* When folks are running their vinyl cutters for making signs they need to be able to 'transfer' those cutouts onto the surface of the sign.* The paper backing for the vinyl has a coating on it like wax paper has.* The sticky back of the vinyl peels off pretty easily.* The transfer tape allows you to 'stick' the transfer tape over the cut vinyl and remove it from the backing material.* Here's the magic part.* The sticky of the transfer tape has to be LESS sticky than the sticky back of the vinyl otherwise you will have created a giant mess.* Once transfered to the sign the sitcky of the transfer tape releases its grip on the vinyl and peels off.* That is what is was designed to do, but WE of course use it for all kinds of goodies!
    Russ

Charles,

One thing everyone seems to have forgotton to mention is that the transfer tape comes in rolls from 1" to 48" in width. Check with your local sign supplier. It's the width of the tape that creates the magic. Ask for a roll wide enough to cover your entire project. You can make do with a narrower width but it's a lot easier to simply lay it out as a single sheet. It normally sells for about $2-$3 per inch of width for a 50yd roll.

Good luck
    Jim Worden