Thread: Precision Collet and Nut for Porter Cable

Default Precision Collet and Nut for Porter Cable

http://www.precisebits.com/default.htm

Not sure if this sight has posted here before...I'm sure someone has come across it, but its got some great info and a precision nut and collet for the PC routers...I'm going back to check more out.

Erik,
    I have bought both the 1/4" and 1/2" collets and use them all the time. I haven't measured the difference in run-out yet, but they certainly look a lot more finished and polished. They are probably what is claimed by the manufacturer. The only problem I have with them is the funky little wrench that you have to use to loosen them. It is a real pain. joe

Thanks for the input Joseph. I know they say the PC routers can have as much as .005-.008" run-out. I wonder how much of that can be cured with these. Or if the bearings in the router are always going to give you that much no matter how precise the collet. I can't remember but I think there is someone that makes precision bearings for the PC also. Since I don't want to afford a spindle...just investigating ways to get the most out of the PC.

Erik
    Bearings are not usually made for a specific application just chosen from a list by size. Bearings come in many levels of quality and precision.Also price. I repair wood lathes, bandsaws and live centers. I had problems with bearing failure until I went into a bearing house and discussed the problem with the owner and he explained to me the differences. He recomended using bearings with the "E" designation. The numbers may be the same but the tolerences are not. The E stands for electrical use and the tolerences are tighter. Since switching to E type bearings I no longer have bearing failure in this dusty and dirty environment. Check your bearings and buy the best replacements you can find. Just my 1.5 cents.
    Gary