Thread: Potential Shopbot User

Default Potential Shopbot User

In the near future I'll be buying a CNC router for my 1 man cabinet shop. I bulld primarily frameless cabinets, and the machine would be used for cutting cabinet parts from 3/4" sheet stock.

I've been reading this forum for several months now. It looks like the Shopbot can do what I'd need it to do. My concern is some of the gliches that some of the posts address. There's been discussion about deflection and inconsistant parts, electrical issues caused by static from the dust collection system, several software issues etc.

It may be that these are just a small part of the whole Shopbot package. I realize that the forum is a place to discuss these issues and typically does produce a resolution for each. I know that even the best of machines isn't flawless. Finally the fixes generally seem straight forward, and it may be that a checklist at installation (perhaps there already is) would prevent many of these from popping up.

I just don't want it to become a job in itself to keep the machine running well. One of the true values of some of my better equipment is that I know I can rely on it to consistantly perform well when I need it to.

32mmcabinet1

I have had a shopbot up and running for a year and a half. Other than a bad electrical fitting from the start that about drove me crazy to find, I haven't had a issue one with the bot. I haven't had any inconsistant parts that you are talking about, everything has been pretty much spot on, maybe I don't push mine hard enough for some of the issue to come up. I have a vac pump and usually do 2 passes instead of 1, to me it just does a better cut and I can't keep up with the machine anyway so time is no factor. I do mostly frameless cabinetry now since purchase of the bot, I use to do mostly framed. I am a one man shop and I cut about 40 sheets of melamine and plywood a week on the bot. I have done some signs and other parts on the machine and I have been very pleased with it. Feel free to call or email me if you would like to discuss your concerns. I have a PRT Alpha 4 x 8 bed.

Jeff

PS. What's your name? So that we don't have to call you 32mmcabinet1, lol.

I think most of the problems seen are related to the older generations of shopbots and new user problems.
    I watched shopbot for many years as they improved the routers. Finally last year they introduced the PRS Alpha a commercial quality router. I bought one and have stopped using my homebuilt routers. The only problem I have experienced is a bad proximity switch which I disabled in software. One of these days I will request a replacement.

With a Shopbot you are providing some assembly, wiring and computer knowledge in exchange for a cheaper machine. You have to be willing and able to do your part. You will pay your dues, no question about that.

I have seen people purchase expensive "commercial" systems that have problems too. At that point you have to pay for an expensive service call, because there is no active forum discussing problems and inexpensive solutions.

ernie

Every problem I have encountered was due to me never owning or operating a CNC router prior to getting the ShopBot. Static discharge will be a problem for any machine so grounding is needed. I remember quite well when I worked for a computer company who made mini and main frame computers. Winter months with dry air caused the most static and folks would zap the equipment and cause strange things to happen. Add humidity and the problem goes away.

Wrong size parts are caused by running small cutters too fast and having them bend while cutting or something in the drawing/toolpath creation phase. Again, all user education.

I believe you will find that some folks push all equipment to the limits. This is where you should expect trouble and know how to fix it. Over clocking your CPU in your computer is an example.

Run the machine and cutters within the limits of the problem free zone and you will be very happy.

My truck has 120 MPH on the speedometer. Not sure if it will go that fast. If I try it, I'll be sure to look for problems when I do. Law enforcement being only one to consider.

I would bet you will be VERY happy with one of the PRS machines.

Be sure to find one close and go see it work.

32mmcabinet1..
    My son and are a 2 man shop and we now have 6 months of ShopBot use and neither one of us had even seen a CNC router prior to purchasing our ShopBot. We had our share of problems, the majority of which, were caused by operator error or inexperience. The good folks at ShopBot were kind & patient enough to get us thru "the break in period" like they had for thousands before us.

Now that we have a few months under our belts, I can tell you that 75% of the learning curve is in the design software. The other 25% is actually making the machine work. If you do decide to purchase a machine, I think that you will be able to increase your quality, accuracy and repeatability over your present methods. I know we did and we are a fairly well equiped small shop. As you become more proficient with the machine, You will also be able to expand your capabilities in ways you can only imagine now.
    There are many operations we do to cabinet panels now that seem routine, that in the past, were seldom done due to the time to set up a custom jig for each cut.
    Gary

6 years into the CNC world and I can say every new user has had issues no matter what machine they started with. 95% of those issues are inexperience and there's only one way to get experience!

Remember that the more complex the machine and software, the more potential issues there can be. I've watched some shops go through hell getting their high dollar "big iron" machines up and running efficiently. Seen other old hands running from the minute they were hooked up to power.

The 'bots are a great entry level platform with great company support. One day you might outgrow it and it's capabilities, or you might not. I've come close to moving to a faster machine twice in 6 years and both times I've been glad I didn't. The few times I've been down they had me up and running in about 24 hours. Critical service for a production parts cutter like me.

In contrast I've seen one Italian made $120,000 machine down for two months while awaiting a mother board from Italy! A shop I know has a $200,000 + machine and he said the cheapest repair he's had in three years was $5,000, ouch!!

The key is to make sure you set it up right and with tolerances tight from the start and use that tech support line! Once you're over the hump on experience you'll be bragging about you machine to everyone else.

Thanks very much for the responses, you've cleared up any reservations I'd had about the machine. At this point I'm fairly certain we'll be going with a Shopbot in the not too distant future.
    Thanks again for taking the time to post your experiences, I'll post our progress as we get closer to the purchase.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Just 1 more,
    I too an a one man shop and do the same as the rest do . i was primarily a face frame builder but until i got the bot i wouldnt take on a euro style job . now i do them probably more than face frame . the main thing i use the bot for is cutting , drilling and drilling hinge holes on the end pannells . i cut the shelves top and bottoms and stretchers on a slide saw and i too cant keep up with the bot " Pedro" . one thing it does beautifully is arched valances , and fluted collums , I havent never regreted the decision to buy one , the forum support is awsome . i have a 48x96 alpha with a spindle and a 7.5 hp roots vac system and i love it , Gene