Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.2 HP HSD spindle

Al
    Fantastic work. I always appreciate the work of a craftsman.
    I have the 2.2 Spindle. My dust collector is in another room ( 1.75HP Grizzly). If my dust collector is on, I can hardly hear the spindle running at 15K rpm. Also if my speed and rpm are correct there isn't as much noise during cutting as the dust collector. With that said, I still wear ear protection, as it is that loud. Some plywood when cutting with 1/4 upcutter does make enough noise I can hear it when I am standing outside with door closed about 20 ft from the shop, while cutting, but rarely is the cutting making enough noise to hear it outside the shop with the door closed.
    As for working? I have cut 2 inch oak, with a 1/2 straight cutter at 1/2in deep, 14k and 1.5 inch per second, and the spindle didn't even complain. I have caused a 3.5hp router to slow down on the router table, but haven't yet had the spindle even complain. Makes me wonder what they are cutting with the 5hp spindles.
    Also, a couple of dots of finger nail polish on the collet nut can save fingers. Makes a pretty line when the spindle is running, so pick some kind of pleasing shade and color. I always use the last color my wife used, so she can't tell I borrowed some polish. I also use it as lock tight, so I appreciate the reds and blues, but the bright and sparkley colors are not as nice.

Butch

5hp would be great, but Thermwood machines have 18hp spindles and I am sure some larger. Won't the bits break if you are trying to chomp material as fast as an 18hp spindle could cut? I have seen them cut, and they cut fast! Anyone have experience running one of those big machines?

When I get the chance to upgrade from the router, I want to get either the 2.2 or 4 HP HSD spindle. Has anyone bought a 2.2 HP and wished they had bought a 4HP? If a 2.2HP could cut 3/4" plywood with a 3/8" bit in one pass, I would be happy. If anyone has done this with a 2.2, I would like to know how fast they are cutting.

I bought a Delta Unisaw a few years ago and struggled about getting the 3 or 5 HP motor. I went with the 3 HP and have never regretted it. I can cut 3" thick oak with the 3 HP like butter.

Does anyone know why Shopbot's prices on the 2.2 HSD spindle are the same for either 3 phase or single phase, but when you jump to the 4hp HSD the single phase version costs $400 more than the 3 phase version?

Typically, the 3 horsepower and below variable frequency drive (or inverter) units will accept either single or 3 phase power as input. (The VFD is the box that goes between your AC power source and the router spindle and provides the high frequency AC power to the spindle.)

But above 3 horsepower, the typical VFD units must be derated if you drive them with single phase power, so a larger VFD is needed. So Shopbot will probably send you a 7.5 or 10 HP VFD unit if you buy the 4 HP router spindle and want to drive the VFD with single phase power

I missed this post earlier, but there is one downside to a spindle upgrade worth mentioning.

If one is used to a a noisy router, especially wearing hearing protection, it is all to easy to think no noise means spindle off. After a near miss, I painted stripes on the spindle nut and visually verify no motion before attempting a bit change.

Thanks Harold, that makes sense.

Just wondering if anyone had any input to my question from an earlier part of this thread?

"Has anyone bought a 2.2 HP and wished they had bought a 4HP? If a 2.2HP could cut 3/4" plywood with a 3/8" bit in one pass, I would be happy. If anyone has done this with a 2.2, I would like to know how fast they are cutting."

I have been using a 2.2HP HSD spindle for a year or more now and am still very happy with it. I use 1/4" bits so I can't answer about 3/8" bits but I cut through 3/4" melamine in one pass at 5 to 6 ips. I'm not doing mass production but I've cut close to 500 sheets so far this year. I also use it for V-Carving, solid wood machining, you name it. It's a very versatile, capable unit. I do wonder what my bearing life will be compared to a more powerful unit, but so far so good.