Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stair Stingers

Default Stair Stingers

Hey Guys..
    We are working on an open beam staircase made of Red Oak. It was a real pleasure to cut the stringers on the Bot vs. the old template & rout method. Very accurate. Here is a pic of the upper section stringer pair as they came of the router. They are 3" thick, 11.8 inches deep and almost 8' long.
    Gary

26831.jpg

Gary,
    Being a stairbuilder myself I definitely know what you mean by "real pleasure". Thought you might be interested in the method I now use for my curved staircases. I wrote a program (in Vbasic) that creates all of the shopbot files needed to make the components I use to assemble my staircases. The creation of the files and the cutting of all components is done in less than a day. Assembly is super easy and can be done in the shop or in the field. I did this one in the field in less than a day by myself. I can specify stringer sizes (the bot cuts dados and rabbets along the underside of the step and riser where the stringer slides in). I started using this method for many reasons but the main one being that my clients rarely know which wood species they want to use until they decide on the flooring (which is not usually in the framing stages). They also aren't sure if they want paint grade skirts and risers at that time. I also use the bot to customize the shape of the steps so I am able to make adjustments to the project right up until it's time to finish it...a real good service to provide. Some pics attached and don't hesitate to contact me if you ever want to talk shop. By the way...went to your site...excellent work you do.
    26838.jpg
    26839.jpg
    26840.jpg

Christian,
    Beautiful work! Where are you located? I would be interested in knowing how you go about designing the curves into your stairs? It is obviously dictated by the curve of the wall to some degree i'm confused about how you calculate the formula or is this done in some type of spreadsheet configuration?

Christian..
    Thank you, I would love to "talk shop" with a person as accomlished as yourself. I envy your being able to specialize in only stairs. Our work (and the checkbook) dictates very diverse projects. Our last staircase was in '04 for a S. FL client, but located in Western NC. This one was designed by the client from an old magazine picture with his page of markups.

I too, visited your site and you do very nice work. I would be interested in more information on your methodology and the vB xover to .sbp For these "straight & simple" stairs we use an Excel spreadsheet with a few input boxes and then the manual chore of entering the plot points into VCPro for toolpathing. Kepp up the good work!
    Gary

Nice work!

Might as well throw these in too...pretty simple in comparison...I just had to radius the ends and pocket out for the metal brackets. The wall and center pipe varied slightly, so each one was a little different. They were 4" thick doug fir...I did it with a 1/2" dia 6" oal bit...was a worried about the bit length, but it worked out fine.

Gary, how did you end up doing the 3 inch cut...are those stringers red oak as well?

-Howie

26845.jpg
    26846.jpg
    26847.jpg

Howie..
    I used .5 CED, 4.5 CEL, 6 OAL bit for the cutout. The glue ups were .25" oversize with 1/2 X 1 plywood splines. Even tho I was only taking off 1/4" at 1/4" stepdown, climb mill with .010 final pass, each pair of stringers totally dulled the bit. I need to research..still havnt figured out if it was heat from the climb mill or just the acid in the Oak.
    Gary

26850.jpg

Jack / Gary,

I began writing this very long explanation on my methodology and decided that I will email you guys off the forum with your approval.

My methods are not normal and in keeping with the norm. I do not use any outside programs at all. I use my bot like a true workhorse and it's more like a "normal" tool for me. My type of work requires me to design and build my parts as if I were using a table saw, shaper etc.

Keep the following in mind when I send write you about my methodology. My background is architecture and I fell into software development when I found out I had a huge knack for it. I ended up as a registered AutoDesk developer developing really cool things for AutoDesk and many architects. When you see a drawing on the screen I see the linework in it's code state (kinda like Neo when he finally understands the Matrix).

The way I do things is actually VERY simple and quick but a sort of "don't try this at home" thing. I hope you can pull a lot of the information I send you out and make use of it for your future projects.

And Gary,
    It looks like I only specialize in staircases but I do a lot of other things. I just got the go-ahead to do a full-blown custom library in a home (next door to the stair project I posted). I do a LOT of custom mouldings (mainly hardwood) for my stair clients and a lot of times end up doing custom built-ins for them. If there is a custom piece next to one of my staircases I most likely did it.

I'm a one-man show (not including my bot Murphy of course) and thankfully seem to have created a niche that keeps me over-booked all year.

Time to work...or play, depending on how we botters look at things.

I'll contact you over the weekend.

Oh yeah...Howie....that's a real beauty...love that character on the treads.

email me for sure! thanks

I'm always wanting to learn something new as well. I'll take an email as well.

Christian,

Please include me in your email. I always want to learn new things.

Thanks