Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version of Corel?

Default Which version of Corel?

I am a little confused. All right, a lot. There are so many versions of Corel out there. Version 10, 11, 12, X3, X4 (what happened to X1 and X2?). Corel Draw, Corel Painter, Corel PainShop. New versions at list price. Older versions on eBay. Upgrade paths?

I am looking for a package to serve two main purposes: 1) Design vector graphics that I can use with either PartWizard or PartWorks, and 2) Design raster graphics and images (e.g., logos, ads) that I can use on my website.

Would someone please spend a few minutes and explain some of the differences? The info on corel.com is overwhelming and also filled with lots of marketing "information." Or, maybe even easier (to write and to understand), make a recommendation of which version to buy?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Charles

Version X3=13 and version X4=14 (where the X equals 10, of course).

I think V12 is a good place to start and should be resonable to purchase and it has good features.

When you are comfortable with using that version you can upgrade as budget allows. Or, if you have the money now, the later versions; X3 and X4 have a few more features. I started using V9 and have upgraded over the years to X4.

Just my opinion - others may chime in.

Pete

GC Carpentry & Custom Woodworking, Peabody MA

I'm currently using version X3 (13) but I started years ago with version 3.0. Even 3.0 is more than capable of doing whatever you need to do on Partworks. If you can find any of the older versions on sale, that would be more than adequate.

There is one advantage to using a later if not the latest version. The trace function has gotten better and better through the versions and, if I remember correctly, has added centerline tracing with X4.

Donn

Various versions have various issues with .ai export, and ALL versions have issues with .dxf files, both import and export. Get x3 (or x4) if at all possible.

I found a v12 version on eBay for $39.99. That should get me started. Then, upgrades from there should be pretty reasonable.

Thanks!!!!

Charles

I took a junior college course in welding and I'm allowed to purchase software for extremely cheaper than normal population. I purchased the latest Corel draw for $89.00. All you need is an email account which end in .edu.

Rich

Default software

Richard,
    You can purchase software at a very reduced rate while in school. These are educational versions. If you read the agreement that is given on those licenses, you are not to use the software to produce products for sale. They are selling you the software to learn it, with the hope that you will purchase a full license later or work for a company that is already using it .

I'm also looking for a previous version of Corel at a reduced price and what I discovered is, in reading the customer ratings or comments on Amazon, the Home and Student version and the Educational version are limited in various ways compared to the full version. Do not believe the comments on Ebay that state they are the same exact programs - they are not.

Some of the limitations pertain to printing and print previewing, the ability to customize the workspace, the inability to use VB scripts (which is what I want to do with the Unrollit script for making channel letter sides).

The other issue customers comment on is the inability to upgrade to the latest version if your existing version is X2 or X3 or earlier. Some people reported when trying to install the X6 upgrade package that it asks for version X4 or X5 serial numbers or codes. If you have an earlier version, evidently Corel tech support says too bad - you're out of luck.

So I'm still looking...

The only thing I have seen different is the "Notice" not for "Commercial Use" on the student version.