Thread: Interesting project

Default Interesting project

Interesting project.... painful narration (snore)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKmKL...eature=related

Well that's 40 minutes of my life i'll never get back!

Actually it was informative and you have to give him credit for going from "nothing to something" but as part of his project he should have learned some video editing!

I've done similar pieces for restoration, but seemed much simpler. The 3d printer step seems a waste of time to me. I simply carve samples out of cheap wood for customer OK, then carve the finished product.

I have done recreations in 3d CAD software, when probing is not feasible, or the model is simple, so probing would actually take longer.

Here's a sample lion I did for a client, who ended up ordering 10. It was for 18th century carved wainscoting panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron Sloan

Ron,
    That looks really cool, but he's not as fierce as mine <<<<< (see my pic)
    but very cool nonetheless. Was this a 3 sided carving? Looks like you had some undercuts?

I don't know the fellow doing the video or the program he's working under at his college, so I'll be gracious with my comments...

My suspicion is that he was required to involve several types of technology, thus the 3D printer segment. The 3D printed piece conformed to the SolidWorks model very well, and that was one of the problems I saw with the exercise... The STL model was very crisp and accurate and the part printed from it was what was shown to the contractor for approval, while the material run on the Bot was done with a 1/4" ball end mill. From what I was able to see in the video, the crispness of the original part was lost in the completed parts. IMHO this is a perfect example of where some hand work should have followed up the CNC work to get the shadow lines of the original... especially since the old and the new were in such close proximity. Also, the painters/finishers could have left some stain un-wiped in the recesses of the carving to help with the illusion of depth.

In the end... there are 5 minuets of good video showing the creation of a part from idea to drawings to prototype to completed parts to incorporation in a project.

Steve

Thanks Jack,

Yours is fiercer! My first attempts were 3 sided, but I found that it actually cut well from just the top, with a little dremel touch-up for the sides. For the mouth, I just used a die grinder followed up by a little dremel drum sanding for the undercuts.
    Ron Sloan

This young man appears to have excellent technical skills.
    As long as he never interfaces with a customer, he should be fine.