Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Money with Your shop bot

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_walker View Post
    Welcome to the forum,

I just looked at your site and you have the design, creative art, and ability to produce a very nice product.

I like how you and your wife select the colors that provide the right accent to the sign, well done.

Wayne
    Thank you Wayne. Much appreciated!

Default Slow website feedback

Mark, perhaps of greater significance to me as a viewer of your website, was the amazingly SLOW load time I had to endure to look at any image on your site. The load time for every image and page I clicked on was agonizingly slow.

I have only run into that with one website, and it turned out their website was constructed from one of those "make your own website for free" deals. Maybe this was a temporary glitch with your site. Maybe that is not the feedback you were looking for, but that matter dominated my "experience" as I visited your otherwise nice site.

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Quote Originally Posted by jhedlund58 View Post
    I don't use anything I don't buy or make myself either as I don't feel like I truly understand this issue after too many hours spent trying to understand. better safe than sorry in my book. I don't live in grey areas.

I hope mark doesn't go to jail... I doubt it
    Doubt that jail is in my future! If... and I mean if I am breaking the law I will receive a warning to stop offering my clipart in such a manner. Nothing more. I will however contact "Vector art" so as to be 100% sure of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    Mark, perhaps of greater significance to me as a viewer of your website, was the amazingly SLOW load time I had to endure to look at any image on your site. The load time for every image and page I clicked on was agonizingly slow.

I have only run into that with one website, and it turned out their website was constructed from one of those "make your own website for free" deals. Maybe this was a temporary glitch with your site. Maybe that is not the feedback you were looking for, but that matter dominated my "experience" as I visited your otherwise nice site.

Chuck
    No Chuck, You are correct. This is a make your own website and I have heard this a couple of times now. I have a business class connection and it loads fast but at home I see the same thing you mentioned. Slow loading images Thanks for the input regardless and we accept all opinions be they bad or good!

I looked also and it is the size of your pix. Make them thumb nails and then link to an image folder for bigger pix. Should speed it up a lot. Great stuff shown on your site. Very cool projects! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Ok everyone,
    In the interest of putting this whole "Clipart" mess to bed, I wrote Vector Art and now I will share the entire exchange.

"To whom it may concern,
    I have a wood sign business and on my website I offer a variety of clipart images that can be added to our customer's signs from you book "Vector Art Mega Collection 1" The images that we offer are in .jpg format for our customers to view and now a friend of mine has raised questions as to the legality of doing things in this manner. Can someone please go to our link and see this for your selves so as to let me know if I am indeed breaking the law or if this is legal the way I am displaying these images. The link to our sit is: http://www.someguyssigns.com/ClipartCategoryPage.html

Thank you for your attention in this matter and if you would please respond with an answer as soon as possible it would be greatly appreciated. If you find that I am illegally using your material you will have my full cooperation in this matter and I will remove it from our site as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Mark & Oksana Huninghake
    (865) 712-2660
    www.someguyssigns.com"

Here is what they responded:

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry. We would not require you to remove anything from your web site; however, it may be necessary for you to add "water marks" to the images. I can have that answer to you in 10-15 days. Thank you for your patience.

Marie Holmes
    Vector Art
    Operations Manager

If the kind people at Vector Art decide I will need to add "Water Marks" then I will obviously comply. Let this serve as info to all that have websites offering clipart from Vector Art!

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    I looked also and it is the size of your pix. Make them thumb nails and then link to an image folder for bigger pix. Should speed it up a lot. Great stuff shown on your site. Very cool projects! Russ
    Thank you Russ! My wife and I really appreciate your input!

Mark,
    I didn't recall a slow loading time but if it is that may be due to large size picture files. If so you can get a image file size reducer that would lower the byte size of the file, allowing pictures to load faster. You may want to check the file size of your pictures to see if that is your issue then use something like this pgm to reduce them:

http://download.cnet.com/JPG-JPEG-Im...ml?tag=mncol;3
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Mark,
    I didn't recall a slow loading time but if it is that may be due to large size picture files. If so you can get a image file size reducer that would lower the byte size of the file, allowing pictures to load faster. You may want to check the file size of your pictures to see if that is your issue then use something like this pgm to reduce them:

http://download.cnet.com/JPG-JPEG-Im...ml?tag=mncol;3
    Thank you Jack! I am a newbee so I appreciate all the help I can get!

Mark,

Great looking site, and a couple of suggestions:
    The oval graphics on your home page total almost 3MB, alone. The quicktime audio is slow to load, so I'd also offer the option to turn it off. Even the menu "buttons" add up to about 1MB. Similar on a lot of your pages. Looks like the designer just uploaded the full sized images, then set the display size for the pages. This still requires loading all those huge images. OK, if you're on a T1 - not so much on satellite, DSL, or, heaven forbid, a dial-up connection!

I try to keep my background images under about 50K and other link images in the 15-25K range.

Hope that makes sense!

BTW, don't bother following the link to my site - I'm redoing the whole thing - but it sure loads fast, now!
    Ron Sloan