Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fusion 360's ShopBot PostProcessor Mods

Default Fusion 360's ShopBot PostProcessor Mods

I've been using F360 for occasional, complex 3D milling for a few years now with a hobbled together PostP I made from F360's default PP for SB, but it still has problems that force me to edit every cut file manually before running. I've recently starting inquiring how to fix these & came across this app & wondered if anyone here knows how to use it.

Visual Studio Code

This page on NYCCNC has a video where John explains how to use Visual Studio Code to modify his PostP files. I love the way it shows live editing of the PostP next to the linked cut file. It's like MAGIC!

But I've tried for hours to get it to work with SBP files (as opposed to NC files) & I couldn't figure it out. I'd be willing to pay someone to assist me in setting this up if it's possible for SBP files.
    Daren

Quote Originally Posted by sbd1 View Post
    I've been using F360 for occasional, complex 3D milling for a few years now with a hobbled together PostP I made from F360's default PP for SB, but it still has problems that force me to edit every cut file manually before running. I've recently starting inquiring how to fix these & came across this app & wondered if anyone here knows how to use it.

Visual Studio Code

This page on NYCCNC has a video where John explains how to use Visual Studio Code to modify his PostP files. I love the way it shows live editing of the PostP next to the linked cut file. It's like MAGIC!

But I've tried for hours to get it to work with SBP files (as opposed to NC files) & I couldn't figure it out. I'd be willing to pay someone to assist me in setting this up if it's possible for SBP files.
    Daren
    It's just a text editor that allows code highlighting via extensions.
    It can edit .sbp files just fine, but if you want it to recognize the .sbp extension and highlight and give cose hints, then you'll need to have VS code extension for that.

What are you trying to accomplish with the edits?

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish with the edits?
    I need to fix a few things. I've listed them in detail here on the Fusion 360 forum.

@Robtown. I really want to be able to see changes I make to the PostP change the cut file in real-time like in the NYCCNC video. Are you saying that the VS code extension will allow me to do that with .sbp files?

@Robtown. I really want to be able to see changes I make to the PostP change the cut file in real-time like in the NYCCNC video. Are you saying that the VS code extension will allow me to do that with .sbp files?
    No, I didn't watch the video.
    I seriously doubt there's a VS code extension for shopbot cutting code.

I need to fix a few things. I've listed them in detail here on the Fusion 360 forum.
    If you lay out some specifics I, and others may be able to help

Specifically, I want to use VSC so that it has a real-time-link (probably not the correct term) between my PostP and a .sbp cut file as shown in the NYCCNC video.

Specifically, I want to use VSC so that it has a real-time-link (probably not the correct term) between my PostP and a .sbp cut file as shown in the NYCCNC video.
    I should have been more specific.. I've seen the video and I understand how to edit the code, but what things do want to change about the post processor?

I've done a fair bit of tweaking and I may be able to offer some suggestions, I just need to know what you're trying to change

Thanks for your offer Eric, it's very likely you are more experienced than I am at editing Posts. Over the years I've done some basic Post editing for various CAM apps (with help from some awesome guys on this forum), but if you know Fusion you know nothing is simple there. More than actually fixing the few issues I listed on the Fusion forum, I really wanted to let everyone here know about VSC & also see if anyone was experienced in using it. For me it's been a HUGE improvement in reviewing & editing posts. I've already fixed the issues I had, and I've finally figured out how to get the real-time-link working between my Post and a .sbp cut file. Along the way I stumbled on something possibly even more helpful: The ability to compare two posts side-by-side with highlighted differences. If you're experienced in coding I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new, but if you're a DIY person this is a great tool to have in your toolbox.

Having said all that, I'd still be interested in hearing any tips from experienced VSC users in here.
    Cheers,
    Daren