Thread: Dust Skirt Hose Diameter, Need Help Finding 4" to 3 1/2" Reducer

Default Dust Skirt Hose Diameter, Need Help Finding 4" to 3 1/2" Reducer

I want to use my Jet dust collector which has a 4" hose but I'm having trouble finding a reducer from 4" to the Shopbot dust skirt hose which appears to be 3 1/2". The 3 1/2" diameter seems like an odd size to use. Anyone know a suppllier? Is everyone using the skirt experiencing the same challenge?

Guess I could try a 4" to 3" reducer. What is odd is I have three different hoses for dust collection I've had for years. A 6", 5" and 4" and all measure exactly that diameter, yet when I measure the Shopbot dust skirt hose, it measures 3 1/2". I wonder if I'll be able to get a tight fit with this scenario.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

The short 3 1/2" hose provided by shopbot goes inside of your 4" hose and just use some duct tape to seal it up. I don't really like the setup but that is how it is designed. I am going to make a new dust foot for mine that will except the 4" hose some day. Make sure to connect the ground wires together.

Mike

I've been annoyed about them using a 3.5" hose for years - and try to find one on the Internet so you can have one long hose of the same size - can't be found. You would think that if ShopBot can buy them we should be able to as well.

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

The 3 1/2" ShopBot hose fits the outside diamater of a piece of 3" ABS plastic sewer pipe. I then connected the 3" ABS pipe by installing a 3" ABS fitting which happens to have a 4" outside diameter. Works great!!

Go figure, design a masterful dustskirt with a hose that doesn't marry up with any other hose or reducer natively on the market!

Daryl, good thinking, I think I'll follow your lead!!!

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I am not sure I would call the dust skirt masterful mine does not work all that well. First it does not fit the spindle very well so that leaves a huge void for air flow loss and second the plastic folds under and blocks the opening in the rear near the hose reducing flow even more and at times barely works at all. Do a search on dust foot and you will see some nice designs. Don't get me wrong I think Shop Bot makes a nice machine but the dust foot not so much.

Mike

Your right Mike, I can only say it looked masterful. I haven't installed it on the machine and a closer look with your comments, I think I have to take my masterful comment back, I judged a book by it's cover without close examination and use. Looks like there is also a significant air gap where the hose ends and connects with the foot as well, that must add to air loss. I'll take a look around at the other designs....