Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exterior sign advice.

Mike in my opinion as a sign maker the story that your sign is trying to tell is about God or Jesus and how your church interacts with them. It is not about the logo of the church. Minimize the logo and move it off to a corner somewhere and get the main image for the sign to instill love or mercy or whatever your main message is. People driving past that sign need to visually see a story in about 3 seconds. I hope that helps. Bob
    P.S. I will have your vac pump ready on Wednesday the 13th

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    I was hoping to make something like this http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ht=carved+sign

What material is this made from? My artistic ability leaves me a little short I know what I like once I see it but actually designing it is something else.
    Pretty sure that's HDU (High Density Urethane). There's different brands and densities. I've used green stuff like that before, but I don't recall the brand name. Call any sign supply and ask for pricing on Sign Foam or whatever brand it is they carry.

Does aspire do reliefs from photos? (I can't recall)
    If so you can just get some decent high res photos of wood grains and do a blasted wood texture like that using those photos.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Thank you the advice it really helps I would like to tweak the design and I have sent a link to this thread to my Pastor David it is not too late to change it until I start cutting. I am leaning towards using sheet PVC and make it using layers.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Mike,

Out of all respect for your pastor It's doubtful he's a designer. I would suggest you put materials, textures and mechanical steps out of your mind and concentrate on the image. Attached is a photo by Sam Staffin. He feels, as I do, church signs are most responsible of our work.

After all, churches are the place we where we gather for the precious steps in our lives.

Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, I am totally with Joe on this one. I don't think I have ever seen such a cryptic sign in my life, let alone one for a church.

Another approach might be to just look around your town, and on the Internet for pictures of church signs. Find something that looks like it conveys a welcoming invitation, as well as some graphics that suggest what type of church it is. (Crosses, doves, traditional Christian symbols, etc would be in order as fundamental elements to include.

It may be providential that your old sign was damaged. It can give you and your church a new opportunity for an improved outreach to your community.

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    Mike, I am totally with Joe on this one. I don't think I have ever seen such a cryptic sign in my life, let alone one for a church.

Another approach might be to just look around your town, and on the Internet for pictures of church signs. Find something that looks like it conveys a welcoming invitation, as well as some graphics that suggest what type of church it is. (Crosses, doves, traditional Christian symbols, etc would be in order as fundamental elements to include.

It may be providential that your old sign was damaged. It can give you and your church a new opportunity for an improved outreach to your community.

Chuck
    It could be one of those churches working to attract a younger crowd.

I'm sure Rob is correct.

It's always a challenge to build a comforting and inviting image that captures the spirit of a particular denomination. It's almost like capturing light in a bottle but that's the job. One thing for sure it shouldn't look commercial.

>> One thing for sure it shouldn't look commercial.

or a BYOB Gentlemen's club...
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Default Church Sign

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Mike,

Out of all respect for your pastor It's doubtful he's a designer. I would suggest you put materials, textures and mechanical steps out of your mind and concentrate on the image. Attached is a photo by Sam Staffin. He feels, as I do, church signs are most responsible of our work.

After all, churches are the place we where we gather for the precious steps in our lives.

Joe, this sign sure looks inviting ,presintation is everything. JERRY

There are times when symbolism will show the way. It's ever so easy to design for the Greek Orthodox with Byzentine historical images. But the youngsters feel more comfortable with current images. All of this proceeds turning on the router.
    Attached Images Attached Images