Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Generosity blows me away! Again!!

Default Shopbot Generosity blows me away! Again!!

Well, Somebody is following the Button thread.
    I mentioned the next step for buttons and inlays was to get away from carpet tape and go Vac hold down and someone offered to make me one for free! I politely declined saying an all aluminum one worried me as half the time I work on the fly and after 12 hours I can and do run into ANYTHING
    So imagine my surprise when Mom brought in the mail and there was a little Package and THIS was inside along with some AllStar gasket !!
    He said he was just paying back for all the help he got when he was starting up(especially Bill P and Brady).
    Out of the clear blue sky and the goodness of his heart.
    Wish the rest of the World was more like the Forum!! Be a much nicer place
    Darn! Now I've got to help a Newbie out when I learn more
    It will be perfect for feeding 8/4 waste rips through for proto buttons, and has already given me ideas for future jigs!!
    Oh, glad he forgot to drill holes for vac at base of center support and gave me pics of placement, makes me feel better about the batch of buttons I made and forgot the buttonholes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,

That was very generous and awesome of that somebody . Locally I always try to help people but am just now getting comfortable with the forum. I am still playing around with my shopbot ('04 PRT Alpha) and trying to get it running like it should. I know this happens with used items but it will get there. I just started checking out Youtube and found alot of good stuff there.. Happy for your good fortune, that is a really nice fixture. Someday I will have to looking into a vacuum system.

It's a whole lot better when we're in this thing together.
    Beautiful gesture.

Well done. It's nice to see generosity between Shopbotters. Keep it up people!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yep, Very nice indeed, but the funny thing is we're hashing out version 3.0 right now and I haven't even hooked this one up due to thunderstorms
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott , very nice gesture by that person looks like a nice piece that should come in awful handy . And there's nothing better than seeing people help each other out . I know I appreciate the help I get from you , whenever I can't figure something out, your right there with a answer or your figuring it out .A lot of very good and helpful people on this forum. Thanks Jeff
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

Man, that's stand-up. Great job on it too. Hats-off to the secret santa.

Scott, let me see if i understand your jig. You take your material for your button, you put it on the jig which holds it up off the surface slightly so you can cut the perimeter of the button out correct?
    It's held by vacumn while you design the face of the button
    how is it held once you drill your thread holes?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, That's why we're on Version 3 He was originally thinking onionskin for buttonholes, but I'm either going to plug the center hole and draw vac through holes in pocket into the vac channel in the aluminum or make a new piece of Corian with a slightly larger solid centerpiece so I can drill holes complete and clean. He also gave me the .crv today and like I mentioned we're already tossing ideas around to make it better. Not much surface area so I may have to mod my cutout pass, but he already made some Hickory? 3D buttons with an 1/8"BN so we know it works. Just need to play with it and then make a full size one for 4 and 6" wide 1/4" stock.
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott what i would do is
    redo the corian to look like this
    1) eliminate the center hole
    2) create a channel for the vacumn around the diameter leaving the center open to be able to make the thread holes.
    My dxf viewer creator needed updating so i can't post a pic
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson