Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing Moments

Default Embarrassing Moments

Getting old means one has to have a sense of humor. So I'm looking all over the shop for an 1/8th in ER25 collet. Found all of them EXCEPT! After a long search period I gave up. Got ready to go back in the house and I looked over at the Bot! Yep you guessed it, there it was hanging from the spindle! My face is still a little on the red side! 14 years and I still act like a rookie! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    Getting old means one has to have a sense of humor. So I'm looking all over the shop for an 1/8th in ER25 collet. Found all of them EXCEPT! After a long search period I gave up. Got ready to go back in the house and I looked over at the Bot! Yep you guessed it, there it was hanging from the spindle! My face is still a little on the red side! 14 years and I still act like a rookie! Russ
    Welcome to the club

Not soo bad Russ

I had my digital caliper display die on me.....That's OK....I bought two.
    Searched half a day and could NOT find the spare!
    Amazoned TWO calipers overnight $$$

When they came in...I took the extra and went to put it in a spot "Where I'd Never forget it" !!
    Stood up out of 'Chair...and had to move a big Lie/Nielson plane.....
    and THERE was the fugitive caliper right behind it !!!

Nowadays, whenever I start to think "I'll put it in a spot I'll never forget" ....I STOP and rethink it!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I don't carry my social security card unless I need to show it to someone. I couldn't find it and had to apply to have a replacement. You probably guessed it. When I decided on the "Where I'd Never forget it" spot, there was the one I couldn't find.

Phil

My father-in-law used to say “Growing old is only for the brave!” the older I get, the more that statement seems true!

While using a flap disk sander on my angle grinder, I had to remove the backing washer normally used when using cut-off disks, I put it where I keep the grinder… I thought. I ordered a replacement along with some parts for my reciprocating saw, all parts came and I fixed my reciprocating saw first… the new back-up washer has disappeared! The 3rd one is here now, I better put it on quick befor the washer gremlin gets it!

SG

Another senior moment... I bought a fancy set of punches from Amazon that were kind of expensive for what they were. When they arrived, I delighted over their technical excellence and put them in a safe place. A few months later, I was doing a job and thought, this is the perfect use for my fancy punches. Couldn't find them. Couldn't remember what they looked like. Did the job with some mocked up nails and shaped rods.

Figuring I must have accidentally thrown them out or some mysterious night dwelling creature took the set (the same one who steals single socks), I bought another set. When it arrived, I instantly recognized the pouch and where it was. Naturally, the set was safe and sound exactly where I left it. It was the green pouch that threw me off. I sent the new set back to Amazon. I used the set during a job a few weeks ago and they were amazing as punches.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I know the feeling I bought 5 Gallons of gas and went to fill the mower but couldn't find it. Looked all over but it was not there. I went and bought another 5 and came home filled the tank and normally I keep the can in a big tub guess where the first 5 was.

I'm really enjoying this thread and I am still trying to find my "missing" heavy duty shop scissors that disappeared a few weeks ago. Yesterday I bought a cheap ($0.99) replacement from Harbor Freight. I was hoping that when I put the scissors away I would find the missing pair - didn't help.

Phil

And we haven't even Touched the Syndrome expressed well in this joke;

Pastor to an elderly woman who's begun to miss a lot of services;
    "I do hope you've been thinking of the "Hereafter" sister?"

"Oh Yes Reverend....almost daily! "
    I'll walk into a room and say "What in Heaven's name did I come In here after!!"

Not daily for me...but it certainly happens
    (and of course sometimes I get stubborn, and refuse to leave the room until I remember....which sometimes leads to seeing other projects that need doing
    "Old age ain't for sissies" R.A.Heinlein
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Pretty sure I can put a check mark after all of the above...if I could only remember when my pencil was...
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5