Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shes ridin off the rails!

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I have not had to mechanically do anything to this since i bought it in 2006 so i was a little rusty on the mechanical aspects and wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I need to do?
    I was contemplating a mirthful response when your words popped out at me.
    I don't think there is any bigger complement that can be paid to a man than old tools that work just fine.

2006 Old? I don't think so. I have equipment in my shop that is twenty to thirty years old and don't think of them as old since the more recent versions of the same tools are not nearly as robustly built, and have fond memory of a shop I worked in not that long ago, but well before 2006 with 1930-40 era Tablesaws, shapers, bandsaws, etc that were built like a brick s**thouse and were far superior to "new" comparable equipment. Think the likes of Northern, Oliver and other great names that if not gone, are not the same.
    That being said Jack is fortunate that he has gone this long without the dreaded de-railing. The first time it happened to me my machine was about a year old or so and I purely freaked. A fellow botter responded to my need and came over after he got done his day's work and taught me how to put it back on and re-square till around 10:00PM that evening. I'll never forget it.
    He hasn't beeen on forum for a long time now and has moved away from my neck of the woods but if he is still lurking out there I would like to say: "Thanks again Dave".

Jack,
    That happened to me a couple of times when I first got the bot running. I too totally freaked both times. I stood up on the table and lifted it back onto the rails, which by the way was difficult. I like the suggestions others have placed here, especially the shims. Fortunately, this happened to me before I aligned it. That was a "whole different story".

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Gerald

its back on track and running good again. However i am noticing a "growling" noise that i didn't hear before. I'm just wondering if you can tighten the turnbuckle too tight or what might make that happen?

Talking about old tools, we would spend the summers on our farm in michigan and my uncle had a shop in his shed where he had a homemade tablesaw (that i was never allowed to use at 10yr old) but he also had a handcranking large drill press mounted to the wall. When we wanted to use it my brother and i would take turns being the "crankers" for each other.
    As far as i know its still on the wall there...

Jack:
    It is possible to overtighten your turnbuckles. That may be the problem but there is also a good chance that you need to resquare the Y.