Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Box Vac Source

Re-print of what I sent to Gary last year:
    __________________________________________________ __________

BradyVac “Ova Da Hump” Valve
    A sucky short story about the marriage between a Fein & a Gast…

This is just a quick write up for you guys @ Gary’s camp. Sorry I can’t make it, but family duty calls…and work is really busy…

Here’s a little contraption that I came up with a while back to aid in holding down non-porous material while using a low CFM, high Hg” vacuum pump, like a small Gast or Welch ½ HP or even a venturi type system that works in conjunction with your air compressor. This setup is designed to be used in what I call a ‘closed system’, meaning that it is NOT intended to be used with a bleeder board or BradyVac v1. You can use a BV2 if you use non-porous materials. (For more info on BradyVac configs, visit my write up on the SB website and/or forum) Plastic jigs and setups work best.

In my experience, sometimes part hold-down is difficult if your material is not absolutely dead flat. For example, the stippled-back of fiberglass or carbon fiber woven layups prevent a high suction/low CFM vacuum from ever getting over the hump and sealed to the gasketing. This prevents your low CFM/High Hg” (LFHS – Low Flow High Suction) setup from being able to make a seal against the gasketing, and your high CFM, Low Hg” Fein or other vacuum source (HFLS) doesn’t generate enough negative pressure to hold the part down while machining. Many times, holding your hand on the part to get it to seal is a pain, and depending on material, it may not seal at all with this method.

Using a HFLS vacuum source, like a Fein Turbo III, the material pulls down and ‘gets over the hump’- but with low negative pressure, it is not enough to hold your small parts. The HFLS vacuum is EXCELLENT at sealing off the material to the jig & the LFHS (Gast) is great at keeping that part held down, provided that leakage is kept to a bare minimum.

Using the good ole principles of pressure differentials, I sought out a way to have the vacuum automatically switch from HFLS to LFHS. This would let me seal off my part to the jig and then build the necessary vacuum pressure to keep my finished parts held down against the forces of the cutter. I discovered that a regular old sewage check valve was just the ticket. It was cheap (I think around $7) and it allowed me to directly connect the Fein to it. (Even came with hose clamps!) A short length of 2” PVC pipe was drilled and tapped to accept a small quick release hose fitting. The open side of the PVC is connected to my vac jig and the LFHS vacuum is piped to the quick release nipple. The valve is situated so that the Fein (or other HFLS) opens the flapper valve when it is turned on.

In operation, the Fein pulls the flapper valve open and begins building vacuum. Once the Fein tops out (around 7” Hg), the small LFHS pump quickly builds vacuum until it tops out, providing that there are no leaks. As the LFHS pulls past 7” Hg, the pressure differential in the sewer valve causes the flapper to suck closed. This seals off the Fein from the rest of the system and at that point it can be turned off. The Fein can be left on as a sort of insurance policy, if your part is barely held down with 7” Hg. If the vacuum pressure drops to under 7” Hg, the valve is then sucked open by the Fein and pressure is then maintained up to 7” Hg, by the Fein unless leakage is really excessive.

I know that this isn’t the only use for this type of setup. I bet that it can be used in other ways in conjunction with anything that moves a lot of air and something else of higher suction. I have confirmed that it works really well with vacuum bagging, especially where open glue times are short, and even thermoforming where you need to generate vacuum quickly to keep production up.

Note that since I made this, I discovered that the setup really benefits from using larger tubing on the Gast inlet nipple. Go as large as you can since the pump can choke and lose a lot of it’s air flow (CFM) if the tubing is too small. It will generate vacuum just fine, but the larger tubing helps to get the most out of the pump.

Hope all of that makes sense…

-B

__________________________________________________ ____

PICS -

__________________________________________________ ____

High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

More pics...

See what else you guys can come up with using this setup...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

gary great design you are the man. some of the stuff you made and come up with is really great. can I ask what made you pick that vac motor to used out of all the one's that he sells. I am also a little confuse on the check valve and what it is used for. One of these day if you every give me a change I may catch up to you.

Brady...
    Thanks for the post, I dont have my copy on this computer. Your pics are not posting?

Erminio...
    Yes... I have cut 1 1/2 sheets of it now! Not looking forward to the next one. Do you know what that stuff weighs?

Frank...
    My very first motors were the Euro (220V) Fien replacement from Granger. My second set were the Ametek 117123 (240V) selected because they had more vac & cfm. These are the LH branded replacement for the 2nd set of Ameteks. Also known as the 240V version of the 9-15 open source vacuum that Brady "donated" to the group.

Using the theory and knowledge that Brady talks about in his "Ova da Hump" valve system, which is an ingenious use of a common plumbing check valve to marry a high vac low volume source to a high volume low vac source, I used the same theory to separate 1 pair of motors from the other, but yet allow them to be used together.

When "front" pair (of my vac box) that is connected to the manifold cant maintain over 7 inHg, a vacuum switch (like on a compressor only neg pressure) kicks in the "rear" pair. Since the rear pair will develop 10 inHg in a couple seconds, it sucks the check valve open and allows the 2 rear motors to double the cfm and increase the vacuum in the system. since the front pair is connected to the plenem, there will always be less pressure (actually more, but less vac potential) on that side of the check valve. If the front pair can maintain over 7 inHg, then the check valve keeps the rear chamber sealed from the system. Without it, the rear pair would allow vacuum to leak into the front chamber. There is also angled tabs on the check valve to keep it from being sucked up into the intake of the motor closest to it. Simple...but effective.

Ran it for about 5 hrs continuous today, box gets about 110 degees +/-. And those that called know I can talk on the phone next to the bot while its running.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

OK thank Gary that was simple. I must be breathing to much saw dust these days. I should of thought of that. I have the older set like you used to have. I change it a little. But the noise is way too much. I can't think. I like your new setup and the back of my bot is only 5 foot from the back wall. I was thinking of a little room outside and placing it in there. Running it with relay would be easy and better then valve. I also wanted to thank you for the idea of the indexing using the cylinder. Boy does that work great. That was also one of your great ideas. I really like it. Best part after I square and clamps things I can remove it. Keep on thinking I am loving it.

Thanks Gary & Brady. Interesting point about vacuum bagging Brady.

John

Very nice design Gary.

One question, Does the second set latch on when the vac falls below the set vac switch to keep it from "fluttering" the second pair of motors off and on?
    Kenneth

No problem guys...I've got a whole lot of little things like this from my R&D sessions. It's just a matter of time documenting or posting them for others to use.

I can see the pics just fine...Can everyone see the pics?

-B

No pictures that I can see
    Kenneth

Can't see any pics here. Thanks for posting additional information.

Gerald