Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I reasonably make these parts with CNC router?

Steve, The parts that you are showing that you need to machine are doable on the ShopBot. BUT If I were in your shoes, I would look at a small used CNC Mill. I have 25+ years as a toolmaker and the parts that you need would best be done on a more accurate and heavy duty machine. Don't get me wrong, I love my ShopBot and I do a lot of sign work and woodworking project but the ShopBot is just not as rigid as what I would want when it comes to true part manufacturing. Just my 2 cents worth...

Steve,

A design thought would be to split the block lengthwise - left side / right side - then each side could be completely machined in the same operation and then a use few Pastite screws for quick assembly.

The DeskTop is a very capable machine. I've setup and run the current generation of larger ShopBots in production and am also using a DeskTop in production for smaller HDPE and acrylic parts. The DT cut quality, accuracy, and repeatibity is the best.

Ed

Whispering Pines Innovations LLC, Grand Rapids MN

Steve, You could also make the rack and the gear.

Check out this, it will export several formats.

http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

Gus

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
    Steve,

A design thought would be to split the block lengthwise - left side / right side - then each side could be completely machined in the same operation and then a use few Pastite screws for quick assembly.

The DeskTop is a very capable machine. I've setup and run the current generation of larger ShopBots in production and am also using a DeskTop in production for smaller HDPE and acrylic parts. The DT cut quality, accuracy, and repeatibity is the best.

Ed
    This is how I would do it. I cut a lot of UHMW but if you need a smooth finish I don't believe the SB will get you a good finish in UHMW. My finish is usually pretty rough in UHMW.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by gravelbar View Post
    Micheal, thanks for your input, that's kind've what I had in mind, but I'm very new to CNC. I see you have a Buddy -- that one kind've scares me because it appears the tables is wood supported by rollers; i.e. you have a plywood on metal system, is that true? Do you have Z accuracy issues?
    Steve
    I have an older Buddy and it came with a 1/2 inch thick aluminum table.
    I always thought that ShopBot made an error when they ceased providing the aluminum table. Financial reasons likely. I also have a power stick so I know about wood tables.
    There is no reason that an aluminum table cannot be fitted to the newer Buddies. The aluminum table even came provided with a grid pattern of threaded holes. This is handy when I am working small items in that I can screw down a machinist vise directly to the table and hold the parts like a machinist would.
    At one of the ShopBot camps, it was mentioned that the table is still an option. If you do the sort of work that would benefit from a metal table, you might want to give them a call.
    Never a warp, nor a sag or need for resurfacing.