Thread: Anyone ever cut Larch/Tamarack?

Default Anyone ever cut Larch/Tamarack?

I'm looking for an alternative to PVC and expensive cedar. A local mill sells larch by the foot for the same cost as pine. It's kiln dried to 8-11%. I know it resists rot very well but my experience with it goes no farther then building Adirondack chairs in the earlier part of my career. It was a pain to round over with the router. I'm thinking down cut spiral at the least. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Regards
    Randy

PS - Attached is one of the designs I plan on cutting for flat sawn balusters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I have used quite a bit of air dried tamarack. It is not very stable but perhaps kiln dried properly helps that. With the prices of white oak around here I would use that. It is much more stable, routes well, and is more decay resistant.
    Bob

I do not have a helpful tip on this question, however, I LOVE your signature line. I intend to steal it!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

GOOD JOB! Making me laugh and it isn't even 7:30 yet!

Quote Originally Posted by MogulTx View Post
    I do not have a helpful tip on this question, however, I LOVE your signature line. I intend to steal it!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

GOOD JOB! Making me laugh and it isn't even 7:30 yet!
    You can only steal it if you make a sign and hang it above your bot and show the pics. I haven't had the time myself.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.