Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lets see pictures of your bots!

Hi All,
    I Just moved studios so I've been too busy to post things, but always enjoy reading posts. This upgrade has been a long time coming, here's my machine mostly dialed in. Last year I added the hardened caps to the X and Y rails and the 90 degree outboard table. Once moved in here I replaced all V bearings/wheels and pinions, added a PVC vacuum table to replace all of my removable vacuum plenums, increased my 4 zones to 12, and added t-tracks. So far the PVC with 12 zones has been AMAZING! The front row of 4 zones are smaller then the middle and back row, letting me use smaller fixtures and parts with vacuum. Next I need to design an index system to use with the t slots and add pop-up stops. Off to cut the dovetail pins.

Byron Conn Design Shopbot.jpg
    Byron Conn Design Shopbot 2.jpg

Cheers,
    Byron

Interesting vac setup. Did you say the PVC plenums are removeable? If so, how are they fastened down? Do you throw a piece of MDF on top for a bleeder?

No the PVC is glued down. I use different sized bleeder boards, fixtures, and direct to the gasket depending on the part. In the past I had a flat MDF table with removable plenums that would screw down.

I have two bots. One at my home in South Carolina and the other at my condo in Florida. This is the desktop in Florida. Since it is in a condo noise is an issue as is dust. The enclosure keeps it so quiet that you can hardly tell it is running even when you are in the same room with it. The lid is spring loaded with two gas cylinders and rises on it's own if you unlatch it
    Attached Images Attached Images

I tried to rotate the images and it will not let me. I went out and rotated the images on the originals and it just rotated them right back to what it thinks is right. What gives?

I've got a 2009 PRS Alpha 96x60. My jog speed has been 15IPS for several years now. I cut several hundred sheets of plywood from 3/4" to 1/4" every year. I cut 3/4" in 2 passes. The first one is a climb cut leaving a 1/32" skin at 6IPS, my conventional cut thru the board is at 6IPS. I drill using a boring bit at 6K RPM one shot in and out. All my plywood cutting is a climb cut then a conventional cut. Has been working well for years. I've thought about bumping to 7IPS to see what would happen but I don't have time right now to interrupt production.

I have a 2.2HP spindle (probably going to need to replace in a year or two). 7 zone vacuum hold down system. I use 1/8" thick sacrificial boards on top of the spoil board. I surface the spoil board just before the start of each cutting job to make sure it's perfectly flat. The sacrificial sheets take all the thru cutting abuse. The spoil board has no tooling marks whatsoever on it. This is a great way to increases your hold down capability, especially with smaller parts. You can put a new sacrificial sheet on and have really good vacuum seal around each part as it's cut. I do a thorough maintenance job on it between each cutting job as each job is between 75 and 100 sheets of plywood. Has been working very well.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

That is a very nice enclosure you made tlempicke. Where did you get your table clamps?
    Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    That is a very nice enclosure you made tlempicke. Where did you get your table clamps?
    Mike
    Rockler has them and I have also seen them at Woodcrafters. Overpriced but they do work well.