Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more railing/post work

Default more railing/post work

Just getting ready to install another railing job.

There are ten and a half larger posts - 5 and 1/2 big ones, 4 secondary ones, with the V carved faces and additional trim.

I laminated the posts from 8/4 American poplar, and V carved them afterwards (now that I lifted the gantry on my Buddy, I have lots of Z clearance).

The maple caps pyramid top was also cut on the bot.

The rest was done on the shaper, including the rail. I dont buy in anything.

83 balusters, 1 5/16" with chamfered edges. Just done on the shaper (stopped from top and bottom).

The stairs are maples stained the same colour as the caps and rail/shoe. We did those previously.

The CNC has really changed the way I do my newel posts. Much faster, everything is identical and very easy to change the way things look by using varying bits, etc.

looks great..l
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Looks very nice. Love your racking system too.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

+1 on what Joe said. Like the spline/shaped vs dowels/bakers rack approach.
    Always like the finish and aesthetics
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    +1 on what Joe said. Like the spline/shaped vs dowels/bakers rack approach.
    Always like the finish and aesthetics
    The rack is just the standard twin shelf supports - I machine the wood pieces with a V cutter on the shaper that leaves a small radiused edge (not sharp). and rabbet the side that fits into the shelf support, then screw it down to the support.

Easy to get various lengths, and they support a lot of weight. I have two of the commercial wire rack carts, which are great like when I have 50+ doors to spray. But I love my wall racking.. very versatile.

One of my guys (who is doing this job) pre-assembled some of the rail yesterday and they started installing today. I am sadly off sick. I was unlucky enough to get whatever my 4 yr old had the other night (when he was up vomiting for 10 hours).

Anyway he sent me a quick cell photo. They have to continue down the stair case next.

If anyone is interested, we anchor the posts to the floor by drilling in each post, and spot of the floor, and setting them down in a mix of West Systems epoxy resin and colloidal silica and several rough steel rods.

The shoe also gets screwed down in several spots before the filler blocks get set in permanently.

Makes for an extremely sturdy railing and I have not had one come loose.

Andrew sorry you are ill. It looks like your guys can handle this project and many more without supervision. You have trained them well. I always love seeing your work and your shop. Get well soon, but if you want to lay out for a few days, I think your guys have you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by dmidkiff View Post
    Andrew sorry you are ill. It looks like your guys can handle this project and many more without supervision. You have trained them well. I always love seeing your work and your shop. Get well soon, but if you want to lay out for a few days, I think your guys have you covered.
    Thanks! I was pretty rough yesterday, today I worked 3/4 day and although it will take a few more days to get back to full speed, I feel better. There is a flu type bug going around, everyone around me has had it now so I guess I'm good.

Yes, they are pretty good guys. The one in particular I hired last summer has a lot of installation experience and he is coming along well in learning the shop routine. I actually let him V carve the posts on this job. Hes taken an interest in many things and thats what it takes to get good at it. I'd hire another like him if I could find one... in a heart beat.

On this job, they just have the run down the stairs to finish up. Today was a short day as they take off early Fridays during the summer months.

Beautiful!