Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what pays thge bills... (well, mine anyhow)

Default what pays thge bills... (well, mine anyhow)

Just thought I'd share some of what I do on a daily basis with the rest of you. I enjoy seeing other's work, and I hope someone does so, mine

I just finished a pretty big (for me) job, built-in style cabinets along a very long wall (about 28 feet) with a fireplace in the center. The home was renovated a few years back, and I had to tie in with the existing design, and trim work, etc. The ceilings are nearly 9feet, which made the end cabinets quite large. But, with everything in place it looks great, customer is happy and I am happy!

Behind the doors, are 16 solid wood trays on full extension accuride self closing slides. Lots of storage space for the families three kids' worth of stuff. Also, there is LED lighting in the cabinets all connected to a remote dimmer/on-off.

It took me about three weeks to build everything, finish it (I used white post-cat lacquer) assemble and install. I work alone by the way, and am able to handle jobs like this with some ingenuity and a young back!

While I was at the home, I took some pictures of previous work I have done over the past few years. Same family, so these pics are lived in...

A bedroom set for their young daughter...

A bathroom vanity - and upper mirror and cabinet work. The vanity was fun, I like doing stuff out of the ordinary. The curved doors would have been easier now with the shop bot

A small home office...

And some cabinets for their son's room (two boys, there are identical units for each)

I really enjoy working for customers over the years, they get to know you and your work - and there is very few if any issues.

Actually, they trust me enough to work on time and material, I dont even have to quote the job.

Being in business, and having both the enjoyment of crafting furniture, for people who really appreciate your work, is what makes my job (to me) the best thing in the world!

I hope with the shop bot, I will be able to do more, and offer more choices.

AJC

Thanks for the pics looks good .not to many cabinet guys post

Just one stupid question its obovious your making cabinets how come you didn.t get a 4 by 8 shopbot for making cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Thanks for the pics looks good .not to many cabinet guys post

Just one stupid question its obovious your making cabinets how come you didn.t get a 4 by 8 shopbot for making cabinets
    Because I have a 10 foot carriage sliding panel saw for cutting parts.

Most of what I do is "one of". I still think it is faster for me to cut up sheet stock on the big saw, and I have a 10" saw to do all my dadoes and rabbets. It goes quickly... I can cut up all the parts for a complete kitchen and do all my grooving, in about a day's work.

I do a lot of "wood" finish stuff too by the way. Just the case that this family likes solid colours.

Even with the solid colour finishes, I construct everything from hard maple and maple veneers. I do sometimes also incorporate American poplar (for instance, for the crown trim and bases) as well.

If my Buddy serves me well over the next few years, there is no reason I can't "upgrade" to a larger machine down the road. I certainly have room yet in the building, I would just have to close in another room in the uninsulated part of the building. But, no plans to go bigger yet

AJC

Also, my work is at least 50/50 cabinets and furniture. The nbext few jobs I have are all stuff like dining room table & chair sets, other tables, a big desk, etc.

If I were doing strictly cabinets, I'd probably consider a larger machine. But I do a lot of other stuff.

AJC

Just curios also its nice to see someone doing well in Northern Ontario I know you been hit hard the last couple of years

Newfoundland is a have province

Andrew,
    Absolutely beautiful stuff, you do great work. Too bad you are so far away, or i'd come and hang out in your shop and hope some of that expertise would rub off on me

good job!