Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch Screens

Default Touch Screens

There is an interesting revolution going on in the quilting industry (yeh, quite a few Botters wives are quilters). They are fitting Android touch screens to the arms as bog standard. This could solve the dust problem with CNCs as there is no fan sucking in dust and of course no keys to get clogged.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I've also been pondering touchscreen applications for the bot. Does anyone know if you could setup a tablet/ipad to run as a "touchscreen monitor" for your computer that controls the bot. In other words, the ipad probably doesn't have the processing power to run the SB3 but if you hooked it up as a monitor, then you could place it at the bot to do all of the controls. Any ideas... surely there's an app for that.

I remember back in the 90's using a touch screen monitor that could hook up to any PC. It had and extra plug that went in the PS/2 port for your mouse. dragging your finger moved the mouse and tapping clicked. Suppose that doens't really solve the issue of dust getting into your PC and monitor though....
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by twelchPTM View Post
    I remember back in the 90's using a touch screen monitor that could hook up to any PC. It had and extra plug that went in the PS/2 port for your mouse. dragging your finger moved the mouse and tapping clicked. Suppose that doens't really solve the issue of dust getting into your PC and monitor though....
    We just use these.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    No more dust problems with the keyboard. They take a bit more pressure than usual keyboards, but we're not sending e-mails or answering forum posts.

You could always run VNC or a similar remote access application on a tablet to control a PC tucked away in some dust free area. Not sure how well an on-screen keyboard would work for this application but VNC is a tried and true technology in general.

I saw the flexible keyboard before but had a few friends tell me they broke very easily. however using it on the 'Bot is defineatly a less stress then as a full-time keyboard
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

I have a 17" elo touchscreen hooked to my control computer. Don't really use it because the SB software isn't touchscreen friendly. Like with mach3 the start,stop and pause are buttons that work good with the touchscreen. I wish there was a way to make a "skin" per say for the SB3 software. Allowing you to just touch or click a button to zero z or set xy zero. The command line thing gets to me. Just my opinion.

John

Quote Originally Posted by twelchPTM View Post
    I saw the flexible keyboard before but had a few friends tell me they broke very easily. however using it on the 'Bot is defineatly a less stress then as a full-time keyboard
    We've been using ours for about 6 months without any problem.

I personally think that the quilting people will shoot themselves in the foot big time. At present they use a dedicated older style touch screen like you find on a GPS. These work on pressure and not capacitance sensing like the glass screen on the iPad etc. They reckon users have asked for a device that they can use for other stuff as well. From what we all know here, this is of course usualy fatal! Anyway my wife isnt going down that path as she has learned heaps here.

Bob
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I bought an old kiosk display from EBay for the equivalent of $50, took it apart and built the touchscreen overlay into my existing monitor.

The type of PC I use doesn't have cooling fans as it has an external PSU. You can even get that type of PC with a touchscreen as standard these days as a lot of them are made for use in the living room as media interfaces.

I couldn't go back to the normal keyboard/mouse type workflow now. It's so much easier with the touchscreen.