Thread: Router Motor Issues

Default Router Motor Issues

About 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon the PC router motor on my PRS started sounding like it was slowing down, so I paused the toolpath and called my wife over (I'm about 85% deaf). Sure enough, she said, it's running way too slowly. I resumed the toolpath, but it was immediately obvious the motor was struggling to make very light cuts in tooling dough (on top of foam), so shut it down for the day, as I had other chores to get done. The motor didn't repair itself overnight, so this morning I checked the power: 120.1 volts and 60.0 Hz.

Is this the dreaded "brushes and bearings" impending failure I read about? And if so, does anyone have links handy showing how to change them out? This router motor has run without issue cutting foam and tooling dough for 3+ years, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's worn out.

TIA! Stan

Stan:
    If it's the brushes it's dead easy. There are a couple round black buttons on the side of the router at the top and you just unscrew them, pullout the brushes and put new ones in carefully and rescrew. Any authorized PC tool repair outlet usually has them in stock. Running slow probably does mean shot brushes. If it's bearings then someone else can help as I have never had bearings go before the router got so old it was shot anyway.

Thanks Dave! I removed the top cover and there is access on opposite sides for replacing the brushes. Each brush appears to be held against the commutator by a coiled spring. I presume I need to carefully remove that to get the brushes out? Anyway, I can see about 1/16" of brush exposed on each side, but don't know how much should be visible. I'll contact PC to order a set of brushes. Additional hints/suggestions welcome! Thanks! Stan
    Attached Images Attached Images

First of all, for anyone else wondering how to replace their PC router brushes, here is an excellent tutorial: brush replacement

And second, here are what the brushes looked like out of my router motor...

Stan,

You got your money's worth out of those brushes!!!

Great post on the brush replacement. Thanks.

MGM

Well Stan:
    It's a darn miracle that getting that short they didn't shatter and screw up more of your router. Wait till your replacements come in and you see how long the new ones are!!

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

yep you got all the good out of them

My experience is after the brushes the bearings will go very soon after, I rebuild the whole thing.

Not very difficult and it all gets done at the same time.

I keep several spares so I can swap it out and rebuild at my leisure.

Ereplacement parts
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

And toolparts direct
    http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/

Are my sources for parts they have parts for almost any electric tool you may have.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have bookmarked this thread for future reference.

I also received two new sets of brushes (2 replacements for the worn ones, plus an extra set to have on the shelf) over the weekend, and here they are. Yeah, I'd say the originals are probably worn out!

New brushes seem to have done the trick. After installing the new brushes and zeroing the axes, I let the router run for 10 minutes before resuming the toolpath it was on. Running like a champ!