Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign design

Default Sign design

Going to be making a new sign for a church and would like some ideas, criticism on my layout. The shape of the sign is what the church wants.
    I will be carving a wood grain background. The sign will be 44" wide x 72" tall. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy, a couple of quick reactions: The sign is very legible, which is worth a lot. But it does seem stark and in-inviting. And the wood grain in and of itself won't fix those issues. I would work on the design, and then in simulation carefully turn on and off the wood grain to see if it is improving the over-all feeling of the sign or not.

But with the large size, unless you are FAR away from the road, you should have a lot of opportunity to reduce font size to reduce the crowding and get a little more artistic.

Congratulations on taking on a big sign! Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

remember Randy when the sign is built the design becomes yours. People will ask who built the sign, not who is the pastor. I think I would put the service hours on separate signs hanging from the posts. Service hours can change then what? Posts look a little spindly to me and I would beef them up to make a more solid looking base. Bob

Double check the size of the letters vs distance chart. My gut says this sign might not be effective.

Randy,

Congratulations of your latest commission.

Please take the following suggestions in the warmest of intentions. The layout as it is now looks like an advertisement for the city. Perhaps Missionary Baptist Church should be celebrated. Information which will change can be done on removable panels. That makes for easy changes.

Designing a sign around a shape makes the work twice as hard. Start with the letters first. That way you can choose a beautiful font style. Then build the sign shape around the lettering. That way you're less restricted leaving you to become more creative.

I'd put the directional arrow below the sign. Perhaps a separate panel.

On the Church of Christ sign I pocketed the lettering. That always adds quality.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

I would put the posts on the outside of the sign, it gives presence like Joe's sign.

For anyone interested this is a double sided PVC sign. The woodgrain comes from one of my redwood sandblasted signs. I haven't been comfortable trying to get the effect from flat jpg photo's. However it probably could be done.

Joe

Thanks everyone for all the help, I appreciate it. I made some changes according to the input that everyone gave me, thanks again.
    It didn't show up, but i plan to put service times on a removable panel

Adding the space between "Baptist Church" and "services" looks better. I would also suggest making "services" in a different font and possibly underlining.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

Quote Originally Posted by randydimmette View Post
    It didn't show up, but i plan to put service times on a removable panel
    Might be good to put the pastor's name on removable panel too, if that can potentially change. Not Baptist so not sure how often they move pastors around, but raised catholic and they move priests around a lot.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net