Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeroing Bits

Looks like you already found the solution. The pressure plate is a nice add on to avoid using the clip.

Just a little information explaining the ATC. There are a couple things you have to do differently with an ATC than with a manual change.
    The first is to get the length of each bit in the tool holders this is done with CN,72 "Zero Tools in Rack". This routine only needs to be run on the bit that has changed. If you are first setting up then CN,72 would have to run through all the bits. Then if you replace a bit in a tool holder only that tool number would have to touch off the fixed plate with a CN,72. This routine is used to record the length of bit in the tool holder for when you make an automatic tool change the Z zero is updated for the new length.
    The C3 is different with an ATC as it will home/zero all 3 axis, ZY and Z. The Z zero will have the Zero location set to the location from running CN,73 "Get Plate Offset". Typically this would be the top of your spoil board. Then everytime your run C3 the Z zero will be to the top of the spoil board. With the CN,72 and CN,73 set you really should never need to use the standard touch off plate C2.

Ahh I gotchya... It's surprising that you can't get a ground signal through the spindle like you can on the HSD ShopBots... Does the ATC spindle have ceramic bearings or something?

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    Ahh I gotchya... It's surprising that you can't get a ground signal through the spindle like you can on the HSD ShopBots... Does the ATC spindle have ceramic bearings or something?
    Yes, it does.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Patterson View Post
    Looks like you already found the solution. The pressure plate is a nice add on to avoid using the clip.

Just a little information explaining the ATC. There are a couple things you have to do differently with an ATC than with a manual change.
    The first is to get the length of each bit in the tool holders this is done with CN,72 "Zero Tools in Rack". This routine only needs to be run on the bit that has changed. If you are first setting up then CN,72 would have to run through all the bits. Then if you replace a bit in a tool holder only that tool number would have to touch off the fixed plate with a CN,72. This routine is used to record the length of bit in the tool holder for when you make an automatic tool change the Z zero is updated for the new length.
    The C3 is different with an ATC as it will home/zero all 3 axis, ZY and Z. The Z zero will have the Zero location set to the location from running CN,73 "Get Plate Offset". Typically this would be the top of your spoil board. Then everytime your run C3 the Z zero will be to the top of the spoil board. With the CN,72 and CN,73 set you really should never need to use the standard touch off plate C2.
    The pressure plate is a game changer but I wish they would have an option to change the routine so you don't have to hit enter that you attached the clip and I could say hey.. touch off tools 1,3,4,6 and it will just do them all automatically. You however, just changed my life with the cn73. Never realized that was what that was for so I did a c2 every time even if not changing tools since a c3 set zero at the limit swich.

I'm sure you could edit the script to remove that part... Just look at the code as it goes by in SB3 and see if you can spot the line where it asks you to hit enter. Find it, then go into the code and comment it out.

Another issue I've found, that I can't compensate for, is when using boring bits. Because the bit has a brad point, that is where the zeroing takes place, not the cutting flutes. On larger diameter boring bits, this can be as much as 2.5mm difference. Makes a HUGE difference when drilling holes. I've tried adjusting for this in one of the ATC files that holds Z-zero offsets, but each time you run any alignment routine, with the ATC, it resets these values. Not sure how to work around this. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.