Thread: Using AutoCAD 2008 or 2012

Default Using AutoCAD 2008 or 2012

I just got my Shop Bot and plan on using it in a high school. For my drafting class we use AutoCAD 2008 and 2012. I tried looking in the archives but did not find much about using AutoCAD with the Shop Bot. Is anybody currently use this program and can you point me to a resource that could help me out.

you can use auto cad but you must export the vectors to partsworks to machine the product
    "Broke college kid making Chainmail"

Default AutoCAD

You can use AutoCAD to create complicated linework and save that to a DXF file. You may have to save it as a version 2000 dxf or 2002 dxf.

Locate the linework near the 0,0 / origin at the lower left. If your linework is a "few thousand feet away" from the origin in AutoCAD, it will be more difficult to locate in Vectric.

If you are using Vectric or Partworks/Vectric it should be able to open the dxf. I would create any needed text in the Vectric program.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I use autocad 2011 and Aspire and vcarve pro will open them

We use AutoCad '08 exclusively - we're going to Rhino for some things this next year, but if you have any questions about using it in conjunction with the Bot, feel free to send a pm and I'll send you my #

Brent

Hi,
    I also use acad 08 exclusively. I draw all my work up in 3d, then toolpaths in oldstyle plines, and have written lsp programs that then write out sbp files directly. I find it very quick and efficient for most work, and gives me a good degree of control over the output. I also have vectric cut3d for 3d carving work.
    I used to dxf out then import to partwizard (the similar predecessor to partworks), but as I draw all in 3d anyway, am reasonably fluent in acad, and have a pathological hatred of switching between programs, I took this route and am very happy with it.
    You are welcome to play with my lsp files: http://www.craftfurniture.co.uk/technology.htm
    You can download them from there, but they are the earliest versions as I have not updated the site for several years (I am now semi-retired). If you want my latest and best, please email me direct.
    Ralph.