Thread: here is a BAD idea....

Default here is a BAD idea....

complete with some .dwg files...a coffee table with a built in fireplace!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fire...able/?ALLSTEPS

I wouldn't want to be this guys landlord
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Absolutely and utterly NO... unless I had cats then maybe.

/RB

My cats are smarter than that guy.

First there is a safety issue no vent. When burning propane or natural gas it puts off c02 . Second thing where is the gas connection or the propane bottle. This is one of those things I think one should stay away from.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    Absolutely and utterly NO... unless I had cats then maybe.

/RB
    Ha ha! ROOF!!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

GUYS!, Alcohol! Same as you cook with in sailboats which is about a confined space as you get. MUCH less CO than your furnace at home(ANY kind) puts out(up to 150 ppm allowed). I was nervous when I first built the house so tight about my 6 burner propane Russell Range(150,000 btu) so ran all 6 burners for 6 hours with a lab CO gauge sitting on the floor below it--Never budged off 0%. Did it again while furnace guy was here Monday and the highest reading was .5% in the mechanical room while he was dialing in the air mix--then 0% which is what my CO monitors always reads regardless of how many hours I've been cooking.
    There, I've vented
    That being said, when Dad swapped over to a gas range--his wife's cat did NOT change it's habit of snoozing on that end of the kitchen island. It moved it's tail in it's sleep and that nice bushy tail-You guessed it Dad says he didn't know who screeched louder- my step-mom or the cat! Spent the next 60 seconds trying to put out the cat and associated fires out with a spaghetti pot and a tea kettle
    Cat didn't go near counter for the rest of it's life(so at least it cured that).
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Actually, Some of them are kind of neat and I've always regretted not putting a fireplace or at least a flue for a woodstove in, but wheelchairs/woodstoves/snow is a bad combo for me.
    First thought on some of these design was what a guy with a Diamond drag could do with glass
    http://www.houzz.com/bio-ethanol-fireplace-reviews

http://www.greenethanolfireplaces.co...nol-fireplaces
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I used to put in unvented natural gas fireplaces all the time. They were all the rage. 100% efficient and put some humidity in the house. The fire log kind that set in old fireplaces.
    I imagine they got enough venting because dampers don't seal all that tight, but personally, I didn't like them. The smell got to me.

I use a deck heater to warm the shop in winter, it's propane. Then I open the garage door and exchange the air, and then run a couple electric heaters. Otherwise I can't stand to be in there, and that deck heater is infrared.

Our gas fireplace is vented and has a switch on the wall. I love it. We use it constantly, it's a beautiful thing. That's what I need in the shop.

Oddly, those unvented wall hanging heaters that run on natural gas, they don't bother me a bit. I have a couple, I'm going to put them in the shop this winter if I can figure out a place to hang them. They used to be in my last shop, I just never had any need for one till now.