Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Finger/Box Joint Software

Nancy, Morning
    Just a note; Before Gert's software I couldn't cut fingerjoints or dovetails on the Desktop. Now I can cut the joints with the boards lying flat and it will help us tremendously in the future. I think it may also help the people with Buddy's?
    There just isn't another option(I think) for people who can't cut off the edge of the table.
    Thank You for letting this stay in here!
    Hope you have/had a nice weekend.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

G,
    I would think it would be better to continue to have questions/answers here so we can see what issues may arise and how to resolve them. I have been following this thread with much anticipation and interest. I don't think Shopbot has any problem with this thread. Bottom line is it is helping us use our bots better so i say keep at it buddy!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks guys....to make sure, nobody has complained so far or even mentioned something.

But I am mindful of the purpose of this forum. Actually I was planning to keep posting practical information and examples of how this software can be used. I just did not want this to become a Fingermaker helpdesk thread. At some point I may start a user group for that but at this time I think email should still work.

G,
    Finally decided on a finish for the very first box I made
    A guy on Vectric Forum needed to make a wood canteen and was going to pour wax into it to waterproof interior. And I decided to experiment with Beeswax and the convection oven as I didn't think his approach would work unless wood was pre-heated and was also concerned with what it would do to TB glue joints.
    Takes longer than I thought for the wood to "Heat Soak", about 25 minutes at 150F so molten wax could be applied evenly(or unevenly in my case
    Came out feeling wonderful, and if I hadn't used Craft quality undersized 1/4" ply for the floor of box with an actual .245" dado, I think it would be watertight.
    Showed pics to a friend from Oz and pretty sure he's going to be buying now
    scott
    Oh, this was a box I did a poor clamping job on...joints are actually much tighter when clamped correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott - Reminded me of this:

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady,
    That was interesting! NO WAY I'd do 300F, but good to know.
    Didn't know about microcrystaline wax, and the whole sucking the wax up thing, and haven't seen "foam" yet.
    Did discolor some Padauk and Purpleheart with about 200F wax at first, but that stuff turns black with the heat of a belt sander if your not careful.
    10-20 years exterior!? I LIKE it.
    Just trying to get a button that will last in a Woolite hand wash at the moment.
    I like 150F as I could hold it comfortably in my hand. Hot, but not painfully so.
    Beeswax may be softer sheen, but very pleasant odor and touch. (also better for the "Natural" people
    Purpleheart and Bloodwood SINK in wax and water!
    I might try the oven again for "Special" projects.
    Think I'll stay "Garage Band"
    Thanks again,
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott, that looks very nice. I have dabbled with wax finish but not for a bigger object. Got to try that.

I see Brady's post with a large empty space but there is nothing in it...? Is there supposed to be an image in there?

I started working on the Fingermaker software again the last few days because I noticed the latest Beta that allows for finger joints with boards that are not perpendicular works *almost* correctly. For small 1/8" bits and joint angles close to 90 degree is is usable but larger bits and very acute joint angles leave serious gaps. I know why that happens but fixing this requires a lot of trigonometry to make my head spin. But, all good fun and I guess I will figure this out eventually. If I do I guess it will be a quite unique feature.

G,
    Link to Brady's YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWHi...ature=youtu.be
    Yep, sold my Master heat gun during a "skinny" period 10 yrs ago, and was trying to come up with a method for larger stuff with tools on hand.
    Took a ton of pics to document for CarveOne so he could see what to expect to happen on the Inside of his Canteen. Hopefully labeled pics self explanatorily.(had to zip 18 pics for Vectric forum)
    Was surprised it took 15 minutes to heat soak the 1/4" "floor" of box, and 25 for the 3/4" sides to melt 100% Beeswax, but didn't want to go over 150F because of the glued joints.

Will we be able to do poly-sided boxes(octagonals for example)? Probably all 1/8" bits for me.
    Thanks again,
    scott
    NOPE Zips to big for this forum. Any body wanting 18 boring pics of a box in an oven...E-mail me. NOT PM
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    I see Brady's post with a large empty space but there is nothing in it...? Is there supposed to be an image in there?
    Not sure why...Maybe you missed a Windows Update or something?

I'm using Chrome. Here's what I see on this end:
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Must still be some IE11 issues…
    Win 7 latest updates… here’s what I see. I couldn’t figure why Scott reminded you of a blank slate!
    SG