Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what these screws are called?

Default Anyone know what these screws are called?

and where to find them?

They seem uncommon, I need to match them on some work, and I can do an image search, but all I can find is Chinese sources at 30,000 pc minimums - and even though the picture is right, every place calls 'em something different.

It is a bit frustrating that on the Chinese manufacturers' sites they are called "button head cap screws", "flat head cap screws" and about three other common names that are NOT these things.

I need a few hundred in a black oxide finish in 1/4-20x1-1/2", and 5/16-18x1-1/2"

I'd prefer a Torx drive, but an Allen head would work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ive seen them, but I looked at all my hardware suppliers and cant find anything...

AJC

Mcmaster.com : low-profile head socket head cap screws

The head to shank ratio is less than what you show in the pic. You should contact some of the larger hardware distributors in the US and let them find them for you...then buy them from whoever finds them.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks,

I looked at MCMC before I posted, - you're right, they are not the same.
    I will email some fastener people, but the low quantity that I need does not put me at the top of their customer service priority list.

Brenton,

There is a Fastenal in your area. If you haven't tried them, bring them a sample. If it isn't something they can help you with they are normally very good at pointing you in the right direction.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/location...ester&state=PA

Tim

www.hafele.com/us page 421 furniture/cabinetry hardware book part# 264.88.350 sizes from 20mm to 40mm 1/4-20 black oxide
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vector Studio 22

they are called elevator bolts

Funny how different parts of the country and different industries call the same thing by different names...

Jerry... around here an elevator bolt has a flat flush head (no Allen recess) and a carriage bolt style protrusion under the head to keep it from turning.

Brenton... I'm able to get bolts like what you are showing by calling them "connector bolts" they come male and female, with or without a stepped diameter on the male bolt to match the female diameter, various head diameters and finishes.
    Do you have a good industrial bolt supply locally that you can introduce yourself to? The web is a good source but a better source is a an old man who knows what different industries or even different manufacturers call something.

Steve

Gene - these are really close, probably close enough. The ones I'm trying to match don't have the chamfer on the head, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.
    I like the name - very specific "joint connector bolt". Imagine how many returns you get in a search for that!

Jerry - I thought they might be elevator bolts, but I looked up the definition in my Machinists Handbook, as well as images online and got this.

"Commonly used in conveyor/elevator systems. For use in applications with rubber belting, these bolts are made with a large flattened Norway head, having a square shank under the bolt head before the threads. Elevator bolts have a flat head with no recess - must be secured from the back with a nut. Preferred where low profile required."

I guess I'll call them connector bolts, non-specific and all-encompassing.

Thanks all for your help!

Brent

garyc Guest

Try Stafast: http://shop.stafast.com/catalog/17mm...oulder,156.htm

They are Bill Young's GOTO hardware guys