Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attn:TED HALL

Default Attn:TED HALL

Hello Ted,
    In another thread i have been trying to figure a way to get independant axis control by inserting a small lathe between the indexer and tailstock and that presents added expense and work.
    And i know independant axis control was brought up before and discussed although i don't recall the answers, I thought before i go to the expense and effort to insert a lathe I would ask where that stands on the priority list? I just didn't want to do all that if it is coming soon so i figure i would ask...is this something i should wait on? thanks!

Hello Jack,

Yes ... don't buy anything! Both our Version 201 and 204 Control Cards were developed with the idea of being able to just set an indexer spinning, independently of what the tool is doing. We are currently working on implementing this and several other features in the firmware for these cards, and one will be able to just download and install the update. [Your tool may be slightly older than the Version201, in which case, you should be able to just plug in one of the newer cards.]

I hate to make any promise about date, but this firmware work is going on now and is thus at the very top of the list.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

That sounds exciting! I have a 2006 prt alpha but i know nothing about the type of card(s) or controllers, ect. in my box.

So should i check back with you tomorrow or first of next week? lol...
    thanks for that info that saved me a whole lot of time and effort (and expense). I'll look forward to this...

Jack,

I suspect that, like me, this YouTube clip is representative what you're hoping to get to. I don't know anything about it - just saw it referenced on another forum.

If the fully synchronous 4th axis motion shown in this clip AND continuous, unlimited rotation (beyond 360 degrees) is included in the coming upgrade, I'll be a very happy camper indeed, even if it means a hardware upgrade as well. I'd then be able to forego buying the (metal type) mill and lathe equipment I'm now considering.

A whole new market for Shopbot (hint, hint).

Did I mention this was a hint :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-RzY...eature=related

Gerald,
    I checked out the clip you referenced, i've seen it before, but that didn't have anything to do with independant axis movement.

As it stands you cannot tell it to spin your B axis while you manually move either the x,y,z.
    My intent is to be able to make designs "on the fly" in combination with certain router bits.

The advantage to that is you can cut a design using say a roundover bit faster then if you were using a "carving" strategy.

Sounds neat - way over my head at this point though. Hopefully there will be enough other experienced users to convince the SB people that there can be a fair ROI on it.

In my case, I'm hoping that SB's research agrees with what I believe is a golden opportunity to bite into the very large full 3D market currently served almost exclusively by off-shore mills and lathes of questionable quality or by Sherline and Taig for miniature stuff. There's a lot of stuff done out there that does not require a HAAS or Bridgeport.

I think that with SB's quality, heavier duty and available size they could attract a lot of new customers who are frustrated by the size and speed limitations of quality machines like Sherline and Taig. At the risk of saying something naughty I can't think of anything better than using the SB/Vectric software with the full 3D capabilities of that "M" controller program. :-)

That's the day I'll be ordering a new, loaded 48" Buddy Alpha with extended Z axis and indexer - I may want to paint the tailstock blue though...

I think on average there is (or was) about a 6 week wait time so if you order now maybe by the time you get delivery they will have made the changes (i hope, i hope, i hope!) and since this is a software change it will be able to be implemented without having to make any physical modifications to your machine (like adding a lathe, ect).
    This sounds like good incentive for both parties to me!
    BTW- when you get your indexer let me know so we can get you into making some neat spirals and other stuff. I can make you some toolpaths for some neat designs.

It has been about 6 months and i thought i would revisit this thread to see if this had had timne to be implemented and maybe i just missed it.

If not you can consider this a friendly little poke...thanks

Jack, I'll share the wrath on this one if it comes (chuckle). I've purposely been on hold with mine but have to admit that the Aspire 2.5 release has me interested again.

It got my attention as well! I'm hoping I can get a little help from my fellow botter JR since he has a full-size machine with an indexer in the interim.
    Thanks, Jack, for staying on this!!!
    Mike