PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Question Ever

brian_h
08-07-2006, 11:03 AM
PRT Alpha: When you're done for the day, what is the correct way to shut down the control box and spindle? A quick scan of the book does not reveal the answer.

frank_hav
08-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't know if there is a wrong way (Some common sense applied). In general I slow the VDF to 10,000 rpm, (So when I start the warmup in the morning I don't forget) and then I shutdown the the Controller Software, then I shut down the control box and unplug the USB (I take my Laptop home with me).

Frank

brian_h
08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
"then I shut down the control box"

OK, so you turn the big yellow switch on the control box?

frank_hav
08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Red switch in a yellow case. Yep that's the one.

odulfst
08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
i pop the clown nose in case of a lightning.

oh, i have real e-stops the cut power/ground completely.

patricktoomey
08-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Tony, what e-stops would you recommend for that and where did you get them? I'm in the lightning capital of the US (central Florida) and we get lightning just about every afternoon in the summer. I'd love to have a really fast way of shutting everything down in a hurry. I can get it down pretty quickly but my shop helper is not as confident, I'd like a big magic button that would kill everything with no questions asked.

rick_woodward
08-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I dont remember if i was told or read it. I have the alpha with 5 hp spindle. Warmup is 9000 rpm for 10 minutes. Then i bring up to speed before cutting. Shutdown , i let the spindle fan run for 10 minutes to cool down the spindle.Then i shut off the control box,exit shopbot,turn off computer. Then i RIP the USB outa the back of the laptop, chew on the cable snarling,growling and slobberin , waiting for the laptop to click off. (Stress release) With my other 2 hands i'm taking my really cool and fantastical part/carving/screwup off the machine and blowing all the dust off the spindle and table. ( CHOKE ! Cough ! Gasp !) I unplug my power supply for the Laptop, trip and almost fall, over one or two sticks or boards, maybe a gallon can of finish i didnt put up. Almost regain my balance when i hit my forehead on the door knob. Well sir..., i see stars an purple elephants for a few seconds. I always recover quick, i have the lightening speed of an alley cat. I flip off the lites, shut the door and head into the house.Staggering or swaggering,( i'm a legend in my own mind) depending on how hard i hit my head this time, i sauvely saunter in the front door. Buddy, my cat, meows.Duly impressed, he flops over on his side to be petted. Aint happening, i'm tired, hungry an dizzy..... Thats my story an i'm stickin to it. Uh, the end.

dhunt
08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Rick!
You should be writing novels, boy!

Thanks for the laughs! :-)

bleeth
08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Soon to be published in that famous magazine "Botter's Life"

Well done Rick

Dave