PDA

View Full Version : Lost connection

gc3
07-24-2009, 12:04 AM
First major snafu. Ran 3 files in preview with no problems,turned on control,SM mode and nothing but the "port not connecting". This is a PRT box running 3.4.27.Tried reinstalling the software, no good, did all of the trouble shooting I could find and still no connection. Computer appears fine XP Pro with no previous problems. How do I read the serial port on the computer to check # or if it is disabled for some reason...Thanks for any advice.

Gene Crain

cnc_works
07-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Left click on "start", right click on "my computer", left click on "manage", left click on "device manager", click on the plus beside "ports" to expand and check whether the serial port is displayed. If there is a port with no yellow or red check beside it, windows sees a valid port. If there is a port, but with a yellow or red check, it means windows sees the port but there is some problem with the software relationship with the port (not common). If there is no port, reboot the computer and get into the bios (usually by hitting the delete key very early in the boot process, but maybe F2 or some other key). Wander around in there until you find the section for serial ports and make sure it is enabled.

If this doesn't help, email me for a phone number and I'll help you the best I can.

Donn

gc3
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks Don,

I have tried most of that, I think the problem is in the serial port so I will go into that again.

Here is the firmware reload error message...
"error initalizing communications, port present? E code -3

any other ideas?

gc3
07-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Got it running. Replaced the serial cable from the control box plus used a usb/serial adapter to connect to the computer usb port...

Gene Crain
www.plantasymaderas.com (http://www.plantasymaderas.com)

angus_hines
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Glad your back up and running Gene.....Hope you weren't trying to cut the new Linker Log Files when this happened.....LOL

gc3
07-24-2009, 09:44 PM
...how did you know? on another note I keep having a runtime error 6 overflow around lines 4000 in the qtr sht 48 angles, at least I can cut about half before the crash.

Gene Crain
www.plantasymaderas.com (http://www.plantasymaderas.com)

angus_hines
07-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't know Gene Bill is the older control SW guy. I'll shot this over to him and see if he has an answer?