PDA

View Full Version : New member: Q's about the old PRT-48

kgracey
09-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey all,

Possible new member here! Looking into buying a used (NIB, however) PRT-48 ShopBot, manufactured around 2001. This is the older "C" channel type probably without the Gecko upgrades. Got a question or two about this machine. Sure appreciate the help.

We'd like to use this mostly for prototyping and some low-volume production of routing 3/4" marine grade plywood. Can it do it effectively?

We use OneCNC - haven't seen a post for ShopBot's driver software. Wondering if anybody is using OneCNC to generate ShopBot code.

What's the approximate value of this machine, with the steel table (I think they were made from plans instead of a kit?). The machine is new, apparently.

Am I setting myself up for a struggle to get this older hardware running, and it would be best just to get a new ShopBot with newer mechanics/steel/design? I could go either way without difficulty.

Does it have Z-axis control for surfacing, or just 2.5D?

Many questions, I know. Sure appreciate your time! Thanks, Ken

myxpykalix
09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
All machines have 3 axis control, some have 4 axis control with a indexer (lathe type attachment).

(2700!!)

jerry_stanek
09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Is it a standard or Alpha? Does it come with a router? You can always upgrade the the 4g controller.

kgracey
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Jerry,

It's a standard PRT-48 with router.

Compared to today's machines, what kinds of dissapointments will I experience with an older design, if any?

Thanks,

Ken

jerry_stanek
09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
If you upgrade to the 4g you will have a nice unit. My old pr with a router and the 4g upgrade runs at 300 inches a minute with no problems and it is just as accurate as my PRS standard with a spindle. I ran the same files on both and you could not see any difference.

zeykr
09-15-2009, 04:02 PM
There are many of us still running PRTs with excellent results. The 4g upgrade is worthwhile though. The later versions of software will run G code (4g may be required) that may make it easier to interface with onecnc but I'm unfamiliar with onecnc.

It was possible to buy the PRT without the steel table and make your own, but many were purchased with tables from shopbot. If the table is blue and bolts together, it's likely a factory supplied table.

erik_f
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure, but I paid about $8500 for my PRT96 in 2001 or so. It was a very similar machine to what you are most likely looking. I think shipping for mine was around $1000. Then the cost of the router, prox switches, zero plate were added in...they weren't part of the package back then. I think you could assume a PRT48 was around $5500 plus everything else would have cost you about $7500 shipped. If the table is a home made job...that reduces the value most likely. If the table is reasonably good...I might be willing to pay between $3000-$4000. Again I would have a hard look at the table. If it is a wood jobber 2k-3k. You should be able to do everything the new machines do, just slower. I would wait on the 4g upgrade and just get going with the machine and get to know the ins and outs of it. I would expect around +/-0.010 on your parts unless you really take a lot of time tweaking and keeping up on it.