PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Center

benchmench
03-05-2009, 07:00 PM
80% made by 'bot, 20% by tablesaw.
It is so much easier to make these with the 'bot.
Doors are MDF, made in Partworks along with arched face frame rail. Vertical moldings made with Forney Fluter, cabinet interiors are black melamine PB made with Cabinet Parts Pro (Thanks Ryan!). Bottom middle section rolls out on castors for wire access.

br928
03-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Very nice Dan.

Is the face all MDF or is there some hardwood?

What technique did you use for the finish?

benchmench
03-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Most everything is mahogany plywood on the outside with mahogany solids for vertical moldings, face frame and shelf edging. Crown and base boards are poplar moldings. Doors are the only MDF.

Finish is Old Masters Red Mahagony penetrating stain with a black glaze. General Finishes clear Poly for the lacquer. It is water-based, dries fast and leaves a great finish at 70 degrees or above.

jhicks
03-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Nice work Dan. Its truly amazing what can happen with a good design, good use of tools, and a quality finish.
Even the MDF and Poplar parts fit seamlessly.
Nice finishing
Bot ON !

wberminio
03-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Very nice details.
I like the pull out detail for the components.

What species of mahogany did you use?
I know that Honduras is getting more difficult to come by.

Keep up the great work!

Erminio

myxpykalix
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
absolutely beautiful. I wish i had the talent and patience to create beautiful pieces like that.

benchmench
03-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Coming from this community, it really means a lot.

You are right Erminio, the really good stuff is getting hard to find and expensive when you do. Honduran ply is around $95 USD a sheet in Southern Calif. This is Phillipine at 1/3 the cost. There is much more flexibility with materials under a dark stain and glaze than you would have with a lighter color such as Maple.

loriny
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
The doors are unbelievable. From the pictue who would guess they are MDF. Good Work. Pieces like that inspire me to learn every trick I can for my machine.
Lorin

butch
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Dan
That is really nice work. I am working on a Murphy bed with two book cases. Wish I would have seen your design in MDF as I may have went that direction rather than plywood with oak stiles and rails.
Thanks for posting.

thewoodcrafter
03-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Looks really good Dan.
Was this for profit or for yourself?

benchmench
03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks Roger, this was a paying job. Client budget didn't allow for hardwood doors or top dollar materials - all too common these days. He liked the design and drawings and I had some samples of the materials and doors from another job. He liked these enough to go ahead with the project.

don62
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Dan,
first - a beautiful project! second - finishing has always been my short suit, so just how did you get mdf doors to look like mahogany wood? or am i missing something here!
don

audiodemon
03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
great job .. you'd never know from the photos there's mdf in that thar cabinet..

benchmench
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Don,
It is a multi-layered process with too much detail to go into here, but it is similar to the process of painting MDF. See posts for painting MDF by Danny Ray and others. I use additional steps to add "faux grain" and glaze.

Finishing books and articles by Bob Flexner and others can describe the "faux grain" techniques used.

danny
03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow, That is amazing. Two thumbs up

don62
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Dan,
thanks - will read the post and give mdf finishing a try - again - great job
don

benchmench
04-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Now that Shopbot has the link with eCabinets software, I wanted to mention this project was originally conceived in eCabinets with renderings (which sold the project) and rapidly produced dimensioned drawings for client approval. If the eCabinets link were available at the time, most of the project could have gone straight to nesting and CNC machining.